Recipe Apple Pear Pie

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

T

Trang

Apple Pear Pie

This Apple Pear Pie is made with sweet and juicy Autumn fruits, flavored with apple pie spice, encased in a buttery and flaky crust. The too-pretty-to-eat decorative lattice top crust will be a conversation starter at your next dinner party.

Apple-Pear-Pie-4.jpg

What do you look forward to most at Thanksgiving dinner? Is it the turkey, the creamed corn, the hot spiced apple cider, or the pie? Me, I go straight for the dessert table, and you will be too if this beautiful Apple Pear Pie number is on it. I’ll take a slice to work up my appetite and then another at the end of the meal.

How to make Apple Pear Pie

This apple pear pie is such a delightful twist of the classic apple pie. I love how the pears give a subtle flavor variation in the pie filling. I think you’ll love this just as much as any classic Thanksgiving pie once you have a taste.

Apple-Pear-Pie-1.jpg

1. Start with your homemade pie crust. I like to make this in two batches in the food processor because it is easier to mix and you don’t have to divide the crust into two at the end.
  2. Toss together the ingredients for the pie filling. You don’t need to pre-cook it.
  3. Assemble the pie with a decorative lattice top crust if you wish, and bake until golden brown.

Apple-Pear-Pie-2.jpg

FAQ

What type of apple should I use?

I used Gala apples for this pie since they were on sale at the time. Their flavor blends well with the pears, giving a sweet and juicy filling. But you can use your favorite apple or a mixture of apples. Include a Granny Smith or two to add a little tartness for contrast if you’d like.

What type of pear should I use?

My favorite pear for baking is D’Anjou. They hold their shape well in pie and won’t fall apart when baked. You can also use Bosc pears or firm Bartlett pears in a pinch.

Tips for making the top crust

Making a decorative lattice top crust is more time consuming than a regular top crust but a little time invested can turn a delicious pie into an eye-catching centerpiece for your dinner table.

Apple-Pear-Pie-3.jpg

• To make a lattice top crust, you’ll want to roll the pie dough into a rectangle instead of a circle.
  • Measure the diameter of your pie dish, and that will be the length of your rectangle, and all the dough strips you’ll be cutting.
  • Using a ruler and a pizza cutter will allow you to cut the dough strips easily and evenly.
  • You can choose to cut the dough strips in uniform width for a more traditional lattice top crust like this Simple Blueberry Pie.
  • Or you can cut the dough strips in various sizes for more visual interest like this Apple Pear Pie.
  • Cut even thinner strips to create braids. Working with three thin strips at a time, pinch the top together and carefully weave into a braid.
  • Use any leftover pie dough to stamp out decorative shapes to add a border element to the edge of the pie.
  • If you want a decorative top crust without all the weaving and braiding, you can make a maple leaf top crust like this Apple Pie.

Try it out! This pie is a lot of fun to make and you might find it much easier than it looks.

Apple-Pear-Pie-5.jpg

More Thanksgiving pies you’ll love

Apple Pear Pie

Apple-Pear-Pie-3-280x360.jpg

This Apple Pear Pie is made with sweet and juicy Autumn fruits, flavored with apple pie spice, encased in a buttery and flaky crust. The too-pretty-to-eat decorative lattice top crust will be a conversation starter at your next dinner party.

Pie dough x2

• 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 rounded tablespoon granulated sugar
  • ¼ rounded teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 oz unsalted butter (cubed & cold)
  • 3 tablespoon cold water
  • Extra flour for rolling
Pie filling

• 4 medium apples (approximately 1 lb 10 oz, peeled & diced)
  • 4 medium pears (approximately 1 lb 10 oz, peeled & diced)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup tapioca flour
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Egg Wash

• 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
Make the pie crust

1. Note that this recipe requires a double pie crust. The ingredient list for the pie dough is for one batch. Double the ingredients to make two crusts, but make them separately.
  2. Add flour, sugar and salt in a small mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Transfer flour mixture to a food processor fitted with the dough blade. Add cubed cold butter to the flour mixture, pulse several times until butter is about pea and bean size. Variations in size is okay.
  3. Turn the food processor to “on” position and drizzle cold water over the dough mixture through the water hole, as soon as the dough starts to pull together turn the food processor off. You may need to stop the food processor in between and get a spatula to mix up the flour at the bottom.
  4. Turn the dough out on the counter or cutting board, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
  5. Repeat the steps above to make the second pie crust. No need to wash the food processor.
  6. Take 1 disk of pie dough out of the fridge and roll into a circle about 2” larger than your pie dish. Use extra flour to keep the dough from sticking to the counter and roller.

7. Carefully place the dough over the pie dish, lightly press the dough into the bottom and side of the pie dish, let the excess dough hang over the side. Trim all the excess dough leaving just enough to cover the edge of the pie dish. Save the excess dough to make decoration if desired.

8. Cover the pie dish with plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
  9. Take out the second disk of pie dough and roll out a rectangle about 12”x16”. Use a pizza wheel to cut into 12” long strips. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and store in the refrigerator until needed.
  10. Combine the excess dough from the first and the second pie disk, roll it out to thickness between 1/8” and 1/4”. Use a maple leaf pie crust stamp and cut out as many leaves as you can. Place leaves on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until needed.
Make the pie filling

1. Toss peeled and diced apples and pears with lemon juice in a large bowl.
  2. Mix together sugar, tapioca flour, salt, and apple pie spice in a small bowl, sprinkle over the diced fruits and mix until evenly distributed
Assemble and bake

1. Move the oven rack to the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 425°F.

2. In two small bowls, separate the egg white and the egg yolk. Take the pie dish out of the freezer and brush the bottom crust with egg white.

3. Add the egg yolk back with the remaining egg white along with a tablespoon of water, beat together to make an egg wash.
  4. Pour the pie filling into the pie dish. Brush the edge with egg wash.
  5. Arrange the prepared strips of dough into a lattice top crust, trim the excess to the edge of the pie dish. The excess dough can be reshaped and rerolled to make more maple leaves for the decoration if needed.
  6. Take the frozen maple leaves out of the freezer and add them to the edge of the pie, brushing with egg wash as you go to ensure the leaves stick to the crust.
  7. Brush the leaves and the lattice crust with egg wash and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
  8. Cover the outer edge of the crust with thin strips of foil to prevent the edges from burning. Bake for 55-60 minutes until filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown. Remove the crust shield during the last 10 minutes of baking to allow the edges to brown.
  9. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.

Apple-Pear-Pie-ohsweetbasil.com_.jpg

READ: Apple Pear Pie

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back