Heirloom Tomatoes?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I definitely agree with the heirlooms. I got some cherokee purple, red krim, and mr. stripey's. I am really upset though because i left my seed packets at a friends after trying to help him out only for his gf to throw the bag with about 60 dollars worth of seeds maybe more about 3 years of collecting. So i am a little upset i even lost one of my own homegrown basil hybrids. Sorry for getting sidetracked but i truly am a fan of the heirlooms, the colors just grab me. some almost look as if someone slashed the tomato multiple times to open up the colorful inside. I cant wait to taste em i hope they can ripen in the climate i have. the mr. stripey was partly grown out when i bought it at the nursery but the others were from seed and a little late for my growing season, possibly. THe mr. stripey is blooming now so im going to quickly pollinate them(i use a brush technique). I may do some cross breading as well but i am not sure. I usually like to breed and keep seeds because i want to do anything to climatize my plants to the dry heat of the desert climate.

homegrown,
Hybrids are the best. less disease and better heat tolerance. Here in Florida we have to grow the heirlooms in the home garden to have a favorable crop. I just started my black kim, and cherokees. They have just broken ground and are standing very nice. A couple more weeks and they should be in the garden!!!

I have another week before I can start my tomato seeds in the greenhouse. We had another hard frost lat night. AZ, I am in western Oregon.

I worKed at church yesterday in the Catering and Hospitality ministry. I was able to get coffee grinds and quite a few clear containers. I will be starting my tomatoes in the next couple of days in them. I need Heirlooms here too because of the heat and humitity. Thanks for the info CG. I am started some Black Krim, Cherokee purple, Mortgage lifter, and Jelly Beans Hybrids.

I also only grown heirloom's ,....with the exception of the sungold's... and always save my tomato seeds each year...have never had any thing but wonderful crops and good eat's from them... I plan on starting mine next week ...as my little guy will be here to help..

I have several kinds of seeds, but I just mixed them all up, so I do not know what kind of ears, I find that when I waved it. It does not matter, but for me. They are very good. At least I was good all the varieties of seeds.

Hi Roger,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com

Sometimes my seeds get mixed up to. As long as they grow I am happy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back