Leaf Miners on columbines

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Help
My columbines that I have potted up for sale all have leaf miners on them. What can I do to keep them from spreading to all the ones I have in the yard? I can't sell the 25 pots of them as they all have them :mad: They usually sell so good for me too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If the damage is not so bad that you will make the plants bald, trim off the leaves with the damage. Then spray with neem or organicide. That's sad I'm sorry Laurie :( Even if you can't trim the plants spray really well.

All I do is squish them and leave the leaf, if there's just a few I cut the damaged area after squishing! Since they are in between the upper and lower leaf surface they are not efffected by using pesticides!

Ron
So there is really nothing I can do for these? It does not matter where the columbines are in the yard, they are getting them. Had planted alot of seeds last fall as they are such good sellers but they all have leaf miners so I can't sell them. I have taken off alot of the leaves with damage but it does not leave mnay left on the plants and would like to get these under control so they go away. What can I do to get rid of them if anything? I love columbines. Thanks

Ron, That's odd. The Ag center says you can stop the spread by cutting damaged leaves and and spraying. So this is bad info?

If you use a systemic, then you will get the larvae.
Dusting or spraying the foliage with a residual type pesticide will only prevent reinfestation!

Laurie, the plants will start to recover from the foliage loss in a week, or two!

I guess I should have been more specific. I didn't specify you "must" remove leaves. I did kind of leave it as a " if you want to" Sorry Laurie.thanks Ron for clearing that up.

If you use a systemic, then you will get the larvae.
Dusting or spraying the foliage with a residual type pesticide will only prevent reinfestation!

Laurie, the plants will start to recover from the foliage loss in a week, or two!

So does systemic mean something that needs to be sucked up by the roots and that I can't just spray neem on them after taking off all the affected leaves?

You're right on Laurie!
A systemic pesticide is mixed with water and watered around the root system, so the plant can take it up, which kills the internal pests!
The leaves are marked and not estetically pleasing so removing the damaged leaves or just the part of the leaf is the way to go. You do not have to remove the whole leaf!

Thanks everyone, I got some stuff made by Bayer. I wanted organic but couldn't find anything and this stuff said good for leafminers..

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back