Pea & Tomato Plant Flowers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

My pea plants are about 4-5 inches tall and the vines havent quite grown out yet. I noticed that one of them already had a few flowers on it. Just like my tomato plant of the same size. They are too small to produce fruit and Im afraid of them getting pollinated.

Is this normal or should I pick off the flowers on the pea and tomatoes?

I heard that producing fruit at a small size can stunt the growth of the plant and fruit size.

I wish I could give you a knowledgable answer on that one, Kallie. We plant peas quite early (February 20 or thereabouts) so they can bear before the temperature gets up to 70 degrees. They quit bearing when it warms up. But there is a lot of difference in our climate and yours. It was 37 degrees when I went outside this morning.

Kallie,
It depends on which peas you have planted. If they are snow peas they won't do well this late in the year. Usually we plant peas between Nov and Feb 1. But it's worth a try. If you don't want to let them continue pinch the flowers but you risk not having any more since it is sop late in the season.

I recently bought the peas at a local nursery. They are sweet peas and I also have lincoln peas I planted. The sweet peas have flowers on them.

I didn't even think about the flowers when Kallie asked that question.
Laurie you are right . Usually sweet pea does refer to the flowers, but you will also find some green peas labeled as sweet peas. Very seldom if ever will you see peas for veggies planted in pots for sale. I don't think I ever have but I could be way wrong.

No wonder when I searched Google all I found was flowers..Well these plants have vines on them and I found them with the other veggie plants in the nursery at Walmart. I am thinking that they are called sweet peas because I live in the South.

I have canned veggies in my cabinet that are labeled as sweet peas so when I got the plants thats what I thought they were, which Im sure they are.

Sweet peas look just like a regular pea vines.. I have never seen peas in a pot for sale either as they are easily grown. Did it have a tag with them???

The tag is Bonnie Plants and it reads Peas and below saids Sweet. So I dont know...they have white flowers and are now trying to climb on the twine that will lead to the fence. I moved away the pine straw (which I shouldn't have put down yet) because they were attaching to it.

Attachments

• Sweet Pea Plant.jpg
    Sweet Pea Plant.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 279
Here is a photo of the tomato plant. They are no more than 6 inches tall, but all of the plants have flowers on them which (3 years of growing tomatoes) I have never seen at this early stage. Will this stunt the growth of the plant? I am afraid to pick off the flowers.

Attachments

• tomato plant.jpg
    tomato plant.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 308

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back