Pepper seedling failure

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

This year I started 16 bell pepper plants in mid March. These were started in peat pots with commercial starter mix. In the last two weeks I've transplanted them into the ground and containers. They were hardened off well. In the last two days plants that had been small but doing well otherwise have failed and given up. I am now down to 6 peppers that still look good.

I have these planted in all three of the growing styles I do - ground, traditional large containers, and self watering containers. There is no correlation between where they were planted and whether they died or not.

The only thing I can think of is the ground has been a little wet for the last few days and the roots rotted in that time. The nightly lows have approached 50 F as a floor.

The plants look wilted and the leafs start to curl for a day or two then they're just gone on the third or fourth day.

I don't think I have time to direct seed more at this point even though I really like this cultivator. At this point I think I will buy transplants tomorrow or so.

I did three Anaheim peppers in the same starter mix but in plastic cups. These are still going well and look a lot better than the bells. Well minus the one something ate.

Any thoughts where I may have gone wrong with the bells?
Agree that it is too late to direct seed peppers. - Typical first frost is Oct 10.

It sounds like too much moisture. I had a slow start with mine and then once the storm came through and dumped water on us mine had the same wilt, then leaf drop. :(
They like well drained soil even a little sandy conditions with high sulfur. I am getting ready to reseed this weekend. You could possibly reseed, and make sure they are in containers you can protect if you get an early frost or light freeze. I have been able to sustain peppers at temps as low as 30* for several hours with mulching and cover protection. However successive nights ( more than 3) at that temp have been unsuccessfully. If I were you , I would reseed some and buy plants for some;) that way you cover your bases and still may get the types you desire. ;)

Im going to keep what I have going and buy transplants tomorrow. I've saved this seed from last year which I got from a friend who's been cultivating this variety for about twenty years by seed saving.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back