Pumpkins, Watermelons: Containers or directly in the ground?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

jimmi328

Hello All,

I’ll soon be transplanting my Pumpkins and Watermelons to the back yard. Would they do better in containers (5 to 10 gallon) or directly in the ground? These varieties may reach 200 pounds. Either way of course I’ll be using a mixture of top soil, compost, and peat moss.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I do my melons and squash in containers but no less than 18 gallons and using a self watering design like the earthtainer. I use icebox watermelons and butternut squash.

Giant pumpkins and large watermelons need the volume of the ground. A good rule of thumb for plants is there are equal amounts of the plant above ground as below.

I was considering containers to force the roots to grow within the nutrient rich soil. Without a container the roots would grow beyond the good soil and into the sandy poor soil.

Mr Yan; how many plants do you have in one 18 gallon container? I have plenty of volume on the ground.

I will soon install an automatic watering system.

Jimmi do you know that watermelons are one of those vineing plants that need lots of space? Cucumbers, and melons also need tons of space because the vine. these plants may grow over something planted near them. lots of space for watermelon

Hi Jimmi,
Welcome to Garden Forums.
I see you are also a Florida Gardener. As Lyn stated above, the pumpkins, and melons require a lot of space. Growing in containers will add a challenge to growing them. The vines send out feeder roots so keeping them up off the ground will diminish the growth of the plants. I have only seen miniature pumpkins and gourds grown in containers. You could do it if you are willing to let the vines grow out side the pots. Even an 18 gal as Mr.yan states would be small for pumpkins and or melons.

Here's some clarity about any vine crop such as squash, pumpkins and watermelons:
They send out a root at each of the leaf nodes to help feed the production of fruit!
If you have a problem with squash bugs (like I do), these leaf node roots are necessary, or the whole plant dies!

I put at most two Walthum butternut squahes or two sugar baby watermelons in a 18 gallon earthtainer sub irrigated planter. Because of space restrictions these gat trained up trellises and or nets. Fruit has to be supported. Doing this will give a nice green wall by mid summer.

Notice my plant selection these are much smaller than giant pumpkins or traditional large watermelon.

This year I will also add heart of gold cantalopue.

All of these plants a resource hogs. Think about mixing your whole compost pile into the bed you want to grow in.

Ron
Thanks for saying what I was having trouble articulating. :rolleyes: sometimes the words just can't find their way out in the right order ;)
Mr. YanSugar Baby watermelons would be a good choice for a large container, I grow them because they are not veracious growers like other varieties.
Bush squashes might do ok too. I had some scallop and yellow crooked neck as well as zukes that were more bush type and contined themselves to a smaller area. ;)

I kew what you were saying Nancie!;)
I have a horrible time with squash bugs that destroy the main root system, so I let the vines grow out onto the lawn!
There are one or two roots per node that grow rapidly down into the soil..it doesn't hurt the lawn except that I can't cut the grass until the growing season is over.
Most fruit production is usually late summer into early fall!
If I had a larger veggie garden I would simply pile some soil around the leaf nodes once I notice they are sending down a roots!

I was considering containers to force the roots to grow within the nutrient rich soil. Without a container the roots would grow beyond the good soil and into the sandy poor soil.

This will work to contain the roots. Regardless of the space you have to allow the plant to ramble above ground the small size of the root system will restrict the size of the plant. If the roots are too contained the plant may not set fruit at all even if the roots are contained to perfect soil.

I will soon install an automatic watering system.

A large squash / melon vine has big flat and thin leafs so will lose a lot of water through the leafs. Some wilting look to the leafs is expected when assaulted by the sun all afternoon but will fill back in when it cools a bit. A controlled automatic irrigation system would be required in a container.

If you're in for a science experiment look to hydroponics. I did an Atlantic Giant Pumpkin this way two seasons ago but lost it to black pumpkin rot when it was about the size of a basket ball.

Trailing pumpkin and squash plants can be located beneath taller crops such as beans and sweetcorn. This will save space, deter weeds and conserve moisture.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back