Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

1 tablespoon dry yeast
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
½ pound of butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup raisins (optional)
1 Tbsp butter - melted

Topping
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 drops vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Sprinkle yeast over water; set aside for 5 minutes. In a large bowl combine yeast, starter, milk, vanilla, 2 tbsp sugar, salt and 1 tbsp butter. Stir in enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Clean and grease the bowl; set aside. Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover with a clean cloth and set in warm place to rise for two hours or until doubled in size.

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, 1 cup sugar, and ½ cup brown sugar; set aside. Grease two 8 inch square baking pans; set aside.

Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to a 24 x 10 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a 1 inch strip along one of the long sides uncovered with butter. Sprinkle buttered surface evenly with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins, if desired. Beginning with the buttered length edge, roll up. Pinch edges to seal. Cut roll into 24 slices. Place slices in buttered baking pan with sides touching. Cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in size. Bake in pre-heated 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Combine ingredients for topping and whisk until smooth. Turn rolls out onto serving plate and drizzle with topping while still warm.

Miss Dorothy wanted me to post this recipe as we talked about it. I will look through what I have though for a more conventional recipe that is not based on sourdough starter. I have wanted to make this for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I can rectify that soon.

I'm in about the same boat because of the diabetes. But I can make them for the rest of the family. There is a restaurant that we stop at when we travel to California that has cinnamon rolls that are huge. Four people can easily share one and have plenty for themselves. They are about 7 or 8 inches square and about 6 inches tall. The restaurant is called "Heaven on Earth" and it is about milepost 68 on Interstate 5 in Oregon.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back