Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

Rotting Pepper Plants, Please Help!

I've had peppers like this and I've had blossom end rot. The ones that looked like this I attributed to sunburn. While the leaves like sun the fruit likes to be shaded.
  2. M

Will sawdust turn especially acidic like pine needles do?

The type of wood will dictate the ph level. None I know of are as highly acidic as the needles though. I used to be in super acidic and sandy northern Michigan but have now traded that for the lime stone based old grass lands of Illinois. I have used saw dust as mulch in my garden. It was...
  3. M

reel lawn mowers

Anyone here have a reel lawn mower? What kind and do you like it? I'm about to replace my electric and pretty sure I'll get a reel again.
  4. M

Mr Yan - March 2013

Guess it has only been 3 months since I started this. Yesterday I did a big harvest of greens along with a handful of beets and turnips and cleared all the scapes from my garlic. My 3 broccoli plants are large and strong and looks really good but has not started to head out yet. My 7' of...
  5. M

Composting

I did vermi-composting and it worked really well but time not big enough for my needs. Then I had a worm population collapse early this spring and it's time to move on. I do have a 1 cubic yard wooden bin but as I said it is really hard to turn because of space restrictions. It's 3' wide in a...
  6. M

Composting

Does anyone have experience with a compost tumbler? I'm now toying with the idea of getting one. I have a bin but no space to turn it effectively. I started another small bin but the only spot I have for it is highly visible and the dog can get into it without extensive work.
  7. M

damping off - yup another thread on it

These were young but hardened off. I have no cases of this before I plant in the ground so I don't suspect the germination medium. To further this point I also had this happen to seedlings direct seeded into the same area as the transplanted ones. I have removed the mulch from some of the...
  8. M

damping off - yup another thread on it

I can start seedlings great. With the use of vermicompost I have not gotten one damping off case when inside this year. But when I move them out I lose almost 1/3 after transplanting. These are showing the classic stem problem where it chokes down at the soil line. Should I just let them go...
  9. M

Now what to do...

I've been thinking about building some LED arrays. And with this I could quickly digress into a topic better suited for a homebrew electronics forum. Ultimately the sun is the best and cheapest option. I have my starting operation under a duel tube 4' shop light - it's just what I had on hand...
  10. M

Hot Peppers

Wow you're pushing the HOT stuff. For a few years I was putting Dave's Insanity sauce on almost everything but it's been years since then. Two years ago I did a bunch of jalapenos - 6 or 8 plants worth - and pickled them. That turned out really well both to not waste a lot of peppers and as a...
  11. M

Soil block maker

This tool forms blocks of soil for germinating seeds. The soil is compressed enough to hold form but will allow seedling roots to grow through it. I bought my block maker from Johnny's Seeds in Maine for about $30 but there are several others that offer them. They seem expensive at first glance...
  12. M

basil stuff

I recorded my total harvest for 2012 season - about 89 pounds - but didn't break that out by what was harvested. I did break out the 2011 season - 112 pounds - but don't remember how many basil plants I had. The garden spreadsheet file is also on a different hard drive that I haven't put into...
  13. M

Update

This is my first year with potatoes really but I know I knocked off a few sprouts when I thought I should move one of mine. While I can't answer your question I know if you do dig be careful. For the tomatoes have you thought about floating row covers or low hoops? If they're small enough you...
  14. M

hardening off loophole

Well I'm looking for a loophole in hardening off. If I start seeds indoors with additional heat to germinate quickly but then remove them and put them in a cool garden as soon as they break the surface am I shooting myself in the foot? The ground is still cool but it is plenty warm enough out to...
  15. M

Soil block maker

My thinking is this will allow for better succession planting of my garden. I'm really hoping to increase the veg output of my garden this year. I can now start far more things out of the ground and drop them right in. Peat pots were getting expensive and newspaper pots were taking too long to...
  16. M

basil stuff

I haven't done hydroponics in a few years and have not done anything indoor beyond seed starting. Last year I did about 10 basil plants and got enough for a little more than a gallon of pesto plus other fresh use like pizza and pasta salad. These were grown in containers on my patio and got...
  17. M

Now what to do...

I recognize the tomatoes and peppers in there but not the ones to the right of the pic. Have you pulled one out of the pot yet to see if it is becoming root bound? What might be best is to treat these like you're hardening them off. This is probably the most work too. I have my tomatoes...
  18. M

Soil block maker

I just broke down and bought a soil block maker. I figured I was about to buy another $15 in one-time use peat pots for this season and a block maker was only $30. I got the small/mid size one 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" I know I am not the only one on here with a block maker. What has worked for...
  19. M

building new planter boxes

Modern treated lumber uses ACQ - Alkaline copper quaternary. Really it is just a compound of copper and ammonium. As I understand it plants in general don't like copper and the insects don't like the ammonium and fungi don't like either. The data I've seen on lumber treating chemicals leaching...
  20. M

Live plants in bags?

I don't see why not but I have not done it - have you thought about trading with neighbors?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back