Berry Bushes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I recently purchased 2 berry plants at Walmart. They were on sale for 1.50 each! Great deal.

I have a blackberry and raspberry plant, the raspberry plant has thorns on it and is hard to handle. There are no leaves let alone berries on either one. The stick is about 12 inches long, good size.

My question is: How long will it take for berries to grow? I bought one last year but my yard man cut it down when mowing. And it never grew back. I heard it takes 2 years for berries to produce (which I would have had by now..:( ). Anyone ever grow these plants?

Yes on both berry types. It isn't too late to get them in the ground, but they should have gone in earlier. Berries will produce on year old canes, so the growth from this year will produce berries next year.

You are welcome. That cycle will also determine your pruning schedule. Each year when the vines are dormant, you prune the canes that bore berries the previous summer and leave the ones that were new growth. The canes will show you which is which too. There will be a color difference in the bark of the cane.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back