Blueberries?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Here in Fl Blueberry season is at it's peak in May with June being a no fruit month. Biggest problem we have is the extreme weather condtions , mostly lack of water. But with drip irrigation you can do very well with blueberries.

They do require a lot of water and their root system is quite shallow. Frequent watering rather than deep watering is preferable.

I also love blueberries but don't have any plants. I should dig some plants up from the pole line and plant them in my yard. ...

And before you do, take some time to prepare the area where you will plant the Blueberries.
Blueberries thrive in a light soil that has plenty of organic matter. Depending on the current soil conditions, you might consider adding compost, peat moss, and maybe some sand.
Also, Blueberries want an acid soil, around 4.5 pH. You may need to mix in some Sulfur if your soil pH is neutral or alkaline (sweet).

Once planted, the Blueberries will benefit from a thick mulch, to hold mositure and suppress weeds.

We have a small (about 8 inch tall) blueberry bush in a pot. I dont know what kind it is cause mom bought it but she said it had to stay in a pot on the deck and would make blueberries without even planting it in the ground. Does anyone know what kind of blueberry bush it could be? Also, how can I find out how acidic the soil is?
Btw, LOL on the blueberries and black bears thing!

There is no way to tell what variety it is Trax. I doubt there are anywhere near as many varieties as there are apples, but I tried to find out what one of my apple trees was and after asking several experts, I found out there are over 7,000 different varieties of apples. I think in my Sunset Garden Book there are about 30 or 40 varieties of blueberries listed. You might nail it down a little by checking yu local nurseries and see what varieties they sell. There is a good chance your bush would be one of them.

Thanks Randy! I'll check around but I may bring it inside for the winter and see if it makes any blueberries next year. I read the whole thread and it sounds like it's too late for any berries this year anyway. Maybe it will make some next year, though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back