canna lily

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

A friend gave me a canna lily. its now in a pot and about 14 inches high with blooms. I have researched this plant on the internet, but still not real sure how to handle a canna lily in my area. being in middle tn zone 6, I want to set this out in my garden, but wondering how to over-winter a canna lily in my area. any information would be very thankful to get. It is a very pretty plant and flower. I'm wondering how to fertilize a canna, and when?
thanks very much
Errol

Hey Errol!
Canna love a rich moist soil that is well drained!
You can plant it out in the garden or plant it in a large container/pot.
They grow fast so feed it every other week with a balanced fertilizer such as 10-30-15! Water frequently!
In the fall, after a light frost (if in a container), you can cut all the growth off to 4-6"s inches from the tuber ,and store it in an unheated basement where the tuber wont freeze! If from the garden, dig it up shake the soil off the tuber, clip the thin side roots back, and store it the same as if it was in a container, except pack either newspaper, or dry peat moss!

I am in zone 9 and grow most of mine in gound. I have three in containers but they don't do as well as they ones in the ground. They need a lot of water and the only fertilizer I use if epsom salt.

Attachments

• cleopathra canna 2011.jpg
    cleopathra canna 2011.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Red Canna.jpg
    Red Canna.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Richard Wallace cannas 2011.jpg
    Richard Wallace cannas 2011.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 268
I just planted my cannas today, i only have red, need to get some different colors, i store them in the basement for the winter

Thanks everyone for the advise! I'm going to put it in the ground and then dig it up after the first frost . My yard is beginning to look like the old "cottage gardens" of the Irish!! lol, I have veggies mixed with flowering plants and close together. Not even a weed can grow!!
thanks again to you all and have a great day!! I can always depend on Ron!:D

Laurie I have some orange I'll share with you. I also have some of the plain yellow ones Dor gave me and I might be able to dig some of those. Let me know if you want them ;)

I am in zone 9 and grow most of mine in gound. I have three in containers but they don't do as well as they ones in the ground. They need a lot of water and the only fertilizer I use if epsom salt.

Dor,
Love the yelllow with speckels on it and the red! Beautiful!
The ones you sent me are doing very well. Thanks.

Thanks Nanci. Mine are not doing as well this year because of the drought. We finally got some rain yesterday. I am glad yours are doing well. I can send you one of the yellow ones when it gets cooler.(Cleopatra)

That would be cool Dor. Thanks for offering.
My cannas were suffering but I have been hand watering them about a gollon a day and they seem happier. I started hand watering a lot of plants since the drought. We are on tight water restrictions so you can't just plop a sprinkler out there.

That would be cool Dor. Thanks for offering.
My cannas were suffering but I have been hand watering them about a gollon a day and they seem happier. I started hand watering a lot of plants since the drought. We are on tight water restrictions so you can't just plop a sprinkler out there.

We aren't on restrictions yet but my daughter is and she is just a few minutes away. I have been watering every day. I have my sprinker out and I am watering
by hand.

I will get them to you. I have a yellow and orange mixed with the dots as well in a container. It bloom the first time this year. I will divide it and send you one as well.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back