Crabber's project folder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Geez Nancie no wonder you were spooked, who wouldn't be? :eek: As for your flowering evergreen tree, have you thought of a geiger(sp?) tree at all? I think it's a native and I'm sure it has flowers.

LOL! I can still see the second posting when I go back , but not the first set.
Ok I will go advanced and try that.;)
thanks Bob and Ron. Glad to be the tester

New project pictures

Monday's work views.
Here are a few pictures in the last week just for an idea of the mess I am living with.
I tried to put an arrow in the picture but I can't figure it out on this computer. Anyway if you look at the picture facing the house , you can see "batter boards" set up . ( looks like 2 boards up and down with a board across the top) that top board will be the finish grade of the yard and the retaining wall will be where the boards are. We still need about 5-7 loads of dirt. All the plants up against the deck I will move today. that was my butterfly garden We may get paver frontage on the underpinning of the deck, but it is so expensive I am having issues with that.
The other pic is of the pump house slab being poured. the front yard and drive have not changed yet but this week is a big week for changes.
Oh and yes....all work and no play makes Nancie a sad girl so I took time out to fish ;)

Attachments

• looking out (800x530).jpg
    looking out (800x530).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 334
  • prospective2 (800x532).jpg
    prospective2 (800x532).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 334
  • prospective3 (800x532).jpg
    prospective3 (800x532).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 333
  • pumphouse pour (800x532).jpg
    pumphouse pour (800x532).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 324
  • the catch (800x532).jpg
    the catch (800x532).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
all of this action took place yesterday! Oh my! Today we have about 10 loads of fill coming. Lysle will spread it with the bobcat and hope the back yard, except for the dock, will be done by Monday. Well not done, we still have the fire pit to finish.

Attachments

• Back yard disaster (800x532).jpg
    Back yard disaster (800x532).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 331
  • begining riverview 1 (800x533).jpg
    begining riverview 1 (800x533).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 373
  • begining wall view 2 (800x532).jpg
    begining wall view 2 (800x532).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Dock guys working (530x800).jpg
    Dock guys working (530x800).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 336
  • front drive (533x800).jpg
    front drive (533x800).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 358
Bob,
I like attaching picture that way better. Instead of a link they come up as pictures. I think the reason I could see the others is because they are on my computer? Anyway you fixed me :D

Bob,
I like attaching picture that way better. Instead of a link they come up as pictures.

Yes, they're working like they're supposed to. The other ones were not. It's really frustrating, this is version 4 of this program. It's commercial software, and while it's not hugely expensive, it costs a decent amount of money. Basic features like this should work.

btw, you will notice the images are now full size rather than thumbnails. Since most folks have decent connection speeds, I'm giving that a try.

I think the reason I could see the others is because they are on my computer? Anyway you fixed me

No, this problem is definitely the software. They were there, several of us saw them. But I had to click on them. They should have been thumbnails. Then they went away. Did the same thing for Ron when he posted. Just another bug in this new version...

Since CG re-posted them and the original posts didn't have the images, I've deleted the broken ones, along with a couple of replies about the images being broken.

Thank you Bob for cleaning up Nancie's thread!

Now we can all see the progress photos Nancie!
That is a lot of work being done!
It's going to be super when your done!!!

bob
You're awesome. Thanks for fixing me and the pic posting. I really like the way the new version attaches. Thanks for keeping us up to date with new software. I knopw some of us are creatures of habit and we have issues adjusting to new programs, but I can see the improvements :D

Ron,
Thanks! We have waited a very long time to do this work. As you will see in the next group of pictures, the wall was a necessity not a whim. They had a tough time with the tide coming in , but they did a super job. We hired a company that does commercial work on roadways and bridges and it was well worth the extra money. I am getting tired of all the mess but I know it will be just a memory one day ;)

Yesterday was a big day! Maybe by Christmas we will have our yard back.

A couple views of the dock , one from the river looking at the house and one looking at the river.
The wall truned out awesome. We brought in 14 loads of dirt yesterday to fill the yard and will get about 14 more today. No wonder we had fish in the yard!:eek:

Attachments

• new dock (800x530).jpg
    new dock (800x530).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 366
  • long view (800x530).jpg
    long view (800x530).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 338
  • retaining wall1 (800x533).jpg
    retaining wall1 (800x533).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Close up wall (530x800).jpg
    Close up wall (530x800).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Very nice dock!!!!
I can see why you built the wall and are raising the ground around the house!
It is an amazing amount of work in a relatively short time!
When it is all done it will look like it was always that way!!!

crabber it looks like a lot of work but wow and you are still working on it. Can't wait to see your finished pictures.

Love the pics of your work in progress Nancie! It's certainly a big job and it's comming along really well. The dock is a great idea too, I love it! Oh and I'm jealous of your haul of fish, they look yummy!....I only caught 3 when I went out, lol!

Attachments

• 1271738931_4789.jpg
    1271738931_4789.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 375
Thanks Guys! I feel like it will never get done. We actually started in Oct. this year and now it's Dec. We had to do something about the rising water levels. It was actually washing the dirt away from the foundation of the house. When we first built here the water was about 150 feet from the house. Now it is always about 60 feet away and on full moons or Noreasters it is at the back door. We got lucky with DEP ( Dept. of Environmental Protection) usually they won't let you fill any wetlands, but because our house has been here so long they can't deny us the ability to protect our house. It is a major expense but then so would be losing our house ;) Kind of a catch 22.
The wall was really fast. They came in with a crew of about 13 and knocked it out in one day! What a bunch of hard working guys.
Ron
I hope it looks more natural when we are done.
John
Now I am jealous. What a beautiful place.
PS The trip is about the journey not the destination ;)

Last edited:
My camera is acting up!i can't take pictures. It keeps telling me there is no lense attached. Guess I need to have it worked on.
But wow what a major ordeal. My house has become a tourist attraction LOL in this very small neighborhood ( large area wise but not many people) we are the excitment. Neighbors we don't even know just come to watch. Lets just hope we don't attract zoning.........Right now there are 7 work trucks , 2 dump trucks, a bobcat, 13 men , a dumpster and 8 pallets of pavers on the street in front of my house! Good thing we live at the dead end of the road. This looks bad for safety. I the back yard is a mini hoe to fix Tim's bo-bo with the wal and several men. our project has morphed to include a back yard fire pitand they are bringing in crush crete from the street with the bobcat..... another 5 days of work.
Boy I never dreamed this would happen all from wanting to fix the drive way. They brought it up another 2 feet which means a retaining wall next to the drive to keep the tide from washing it out. All the little things they didn't tell us. :rolleyes:

I was looking back at the pictures from the beginning and hey there have been some major things happening there. Hope to see the finished project soon.

That's the way it goes with any reconstruction Nancie!
You want it done the right way so you won't have to redo any part of it later on once the problems pop up!!
We all want to cut corners but.......you know what happens when we do that!!
Nosey neighbors is all part of the excitement of changes!

Lynn,
Thanks. It is really major. I never dreamed it would be like this. Tim keeps changing his mind about things. I am trying to find one of my old cameras to try to take pictures. It is just unreal to me the changes that have taken place.

Ron,
You arre spot on. I wish it was done. They promised by Christmas eve as we have an annual event we hold and I really don't want a construction mess. Sure don't want to cut corners as I know from experience that is never good.

I can't wait to share pictures with you guys. I guess I have to send my Sony in for a refurb as it keeps telling me there is no lense attached :(

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back