Garlic

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted some garlic last fall and it's starting to get buds on it now. Do I dig it up now before it blooms or wait until after the blooms die. I have never grown it before so not sure. Thanks everyone

My weather is so different. I plant in Sept and harvest in May when it gets hot and the tops die back.

I will take some pictures of the garlic I harvested in May. I still have about 10-15 bulbs left. It's not as big as what you buy in the store , but it has a huge flavor ;)

I'm just planting mine now, you're right Nancy home grown does have a great flavour!

Don't let the scapes (curly q's) go to flower, it will reduce the size of your bulbs because the plant sends all the energy and nutrients to the flower. Once the scape has grown to a complete loop and you can see the flower bulb start to develope, cut it where it exits the stem of the plant. Now, don't throw it out! trim it about an inch or so below the flower bulb and an inch or so above where it came out of the stem to remove the woody portion and use it in some recipes. If you like pestos, it makes one of the best you'll ever have. There's no reason to settle for small bulbs!!! I harvest them when the lowest 2 or 3 leaves turn brown. Hang them as is to dry for 2 to 3 weeks, then enjoy. Keep the best 2 or 3 bulbs for next years crop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• scapes.jpg
    scapes.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 317
  • bulb.jpg
    bulb.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 333
Thanks! it tastes even better. It is one of my favorite things to grow, just love digging it up and getting that fresh garlic smell.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back