greener plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

poppie

I need to know what plants are the most popular to plant in South Africa, where the weather is extremely cold in winter months and very hot in summertime.
we do not have lots of water but we need plants other than cactus! any suggestions?

Not sure if you have access to plants that we have in the US or not. I do have a couple suggestions , however checking with local garden centers will insure you get plants native to your area. Some plants that would normally be perenials end up being annuals when there are colder winters, so I am not sure how cold you are talking about.
Mexican Petunias are a plant that is hard to kill. I live in Florida and we have mild winters but harsh summers. This plant seems to last forever. Grasses such as Pampas, and border grass, the giant blooming aloe is still a cactus type but a nice landscape plant. Lillies such as Christophers and a few of the day lilies might do well. The add the leafy green textures.
Try googling "South African landscaping" and see what pops up. Good luck and let us know what you come up with

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back