Growing oak tree from acorn

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

PulkeKazulka

Hi,

I found a sprouted acorn 2 weeks ago (see first image). I planted the acorn in a pot and keep the solid moist. The winter is still cold (minimum temperature around 8C or 45F).

The problem is: I checked the acorn and found out that the little root that was germinated (see first image) has grown but the root turned black and cracked in the middle (see the second image). Does my acorn has any problem?

Thanks.
IMG_20210128_070133.jpg
IMG_20210128_070101.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi! Welcome to our forum!
Yes, there is a problem.
The soil is too wet and the acorn root is rotting!
It is too late to do anything!

If you find more acorns try again. Use a sterile soil designed for seed starting, water soil lightly enough to moisten it. Do not overwater! Wait until the soil surface dried a bit before watering lightly again.
Plant acorn upright in the soil leaving the top 2/3 above soil level. Cover the pot loosely with a clear plastic wrap. Air circulation is essential
Place in a wam bright spot by a window.

PulkeKazulka

Hi! Welcome to our forum!
Yes, there is a problem.
The soil is too wet and the acorn root is rotting!
It is too late to do anything!

If you find more acorns try again. Use a sterile soil designed for seed starting, water soil lightly enough to moisten it. Do not overwater! Wait until the soil surface dried a bit before watering lightly again.
Plant acorn upright in the soil leaving the top 2/3 above soil level. Cover the pot loosely with a clear plastic wrap. Air circulation is essential
Place in a wam bright spot by a window.
Thanks!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com