Hand pollination

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in Florida Zone 9B, our spring has been extremely dry. Most of our pollinators are staying up high on the flowering plants, especially the Reds right now. So our veggies are tending to not be pollinated as well as one would expect. Blossom drop is an indication of lack of pollination.

The following is a pictorial on hand pollinating squashes and melons.
There is a difference between a male flower and a female flower, and you must have both to produce fruit. Basic birds and bees stuff here.
The first picture will be of a male flower on a large variety squash. I'm not sure but I think it might be a Hubbard. The second picture is of the female blossom. (Typically when they first start to flower you will have several male flowers before you see a female.)
The 3rd picture is of a small paint brush collecting pollen to be distributed on to the female. In the next picture you can see the pollen on the tip of the brush, and the last picture is gently brushing the female blossom with the pollen.

A male flower on a large variety squash. I'm not sure but I think it might be a Hubbard.
20200409_110700.jpg

The female blossom. (Typically when they first start to flower you will have several male flowers before you see a female.)
20200409_110748.jpg

A small paint brush collecting pollen to be distributed on to the female.
20200409_110827.jpg

You can see the pollen on the tip of the brush.
20200409_110853.jpg

Gently brushing the female blossom with the pollen.
20200409_110906.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back