Hi from Oklahoma

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Well Josh, I've learned more about Bamboo from you than from any other source! I didn't know much about it except that it makes for a great fabric for garments! The one thing I don't like about Bamboo fabric is that it grabs water and takes twice the time to dry. It's worth the extra drying time in softness. What is your long term thoughts on growing bamboo? Do you intend to sell to industries for furniture making or fabric developers? I do know that items made from bamboo is right pricey so it would be a good source of income. If you like, you can check out the mill where I work at Bamboosa.com.

Wow! What a lot of great info! Like Gloria I too have learned more in this few minutes of reading than ever before.The bamboo I have had in the past was just wild stuff and wild is the key word in that. I think what I have currently potted , is some smaller type. I really need to research to see what it is before I find it a home in the yard. I love the links provided and am really interested in curing and eating bamboo. I am assuming they are 2 entirely diffrent types used for each thing right?? Can you eat any bamboo or is it like mushrooms? :eek: I am really looking forward to spending time reading the links to learn what I can. I suggest you start a "beginers in Bamboo" thread. You would be a great teacher with all the knowledge you have;)
The rat problem we had was many years ago at another home. Even though we had a feed shed other neighbor without feed had the same problem with rats. We lived in a rural river community and I think the water hhad a lot to do with it too. Would hate to think I was the cause of a rat infestation throughout our area. LOL! The Pampas and bamboo offered the harborage they needed. Along with the rats came the snakes and so on .

I'm glad I could help! :) I never like joining a forum unless I have something I can offer too!
I will definitely check out Bamboosa.com but it's really just a hobby for me. I'm really good at math and what I want is to be an architect someday and design and build boats (especially outriggers like trimarans)! But I have marked some of the better culms in my bamboo jungle. When they are 3 years old, I will cut them, cure them, and make some small furniture... just to see what I can do! I've already made criss-cross trellises cause you don't have to cure the culms for that!
Btw, I might be able to help you identify your bamboo. A few things I would need to know are what color the wood is, how hard it is, how many branches at each node, how long the leaves are, how tall the culms get, and how long the runners are (if there are runners). Also, photos would help too!
As for cooking and curing, it depends on the species. Robert Young (Phylostachys Viridis) is used for fine furniture making in Japan. But the shoots are very tasty too, especially when cooked with Phylostachys Nigra 'Henon' shoots! Henon is also a timber bamboo used for building. For a really sweet treat, Phylostachys Dulcis (Sweetshoot) bamboo is great! Phylostachy Edulis Moso is great too but has to be cooked for a long time. Bamboo shoots are like Rhubarb. They have to be cooked to get rid of toxins... some longer than others. Moso needs a long cooking time while Dulcis needs very little cooking. It's a good idea to know the cooking times for each species and I will definitely include a list in my "Beginner in Bamboo" thread when I write it! Another great (and very sweet) cooking bamboo is Phylostachys Aurea (Yellow Groove) bamboo. Btw, I grow that one too! :) To harvest bamboo for cooking, watch for new shoots that are about 8 cm tall (from the ground up). Dig and clip them off 5 cm below the ground. Taller ones will have more toxins and may be unsafe to cook. Hmmmm.... The "Beginners" thread might be a great place for people to swap bamboo recipees! :)
Anyway, I'll put the rest of that stuff in my thread! Meantime, NEVER eat bamboo shoots unless you know EXACTLY what bamboo species it is! Oh, and I'll also include a section, in the thread, with landscaping and ornamental garden ideas. :)

Ps. Rats near the river prolly just needed a hangout but... watch out for snakes! They do like living in tall bamboos! :eek:

Thanks Suzen65! Good luck to both of us! I've only been here a few days and have been getting all my questions answered! This place is really friendly and helpful! :) They're even helping me save the rose garden and I was getting really worried about that.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back