How to rehabilitate sheared plants?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

camner

About a year ago I moved to a new house whose previous owner loved to sheer plants. Ugh!

I am hardly a master gardener, but I do understand the basic principles of pruning and I'm reasonably successful at maintaining the appearance and health of plants that either I planted or were in decent shape when I inherited them.

But, I really don't know how I should go about rehabilitating plants that have been sheared for quite a number of years.

When leafed out, this plant looks like Witch Hazel to me
IMG_0268.jpeg

This plant is a very tight ball
IMG_0271.jpeg

When I bought the house both levels of this plant were perfect cylinders. Overtime, it has grown out some, but within another year, the top of the bottom level is going to grow right into the top level (not to mention that the two level look is just odd!).
IMG_0270.jpeg

This plant has grown out very little in a year… It has the shape of a three-dimensional trapezoid and is very tightly sheared.
IMG_0269.jpeg

This little guy looks like an alien from another planet!
IMG_0267.jpeg

Can any of these be saved, or do I have to rip them out and start over (unfortunately, there are multiple plants of each kind in the garden)?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com