I planted........

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's that time of year. Tell us what you planted.

Yesterday I worked all day in the garden.
I planted :

Japanese Black Hull-less Popcorn
Sweet yellow corn
Pole beans
Bush beans
Kale

Cilantro is doing great!
My tomato plants are almost ready to go in the ground maybe next week.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
nice to see spring ...have you grown the Japanese Black hulless popcorn before? we did last year and it didn't do to well here.

Dor

I haven't planted anything yet. Saturday I pulled up the last of my turnip greens and was surprised to see I had little turnips. I didn't pull the mustards yet. I pulled the kale also. Twelve of the peat pots of my tomatoes are up out of 18. I have a $25 gift card from Houston Garden Center for registering on their web site so I plan to pick up some veggies this week. Maybe some peppers and strawberries for sure.

Bluewolf

So far all I have managed to plant is my hinney in the office chair:D
everyday still to chilly and wet :(

sunflower3

nothing yet, still have some snow here and it's cold today, I did clean up under the bird feed though, what a mess.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe,
This is the first time I have planted the Black Hulless, I hope it does well that is one thing Tim asked me to plant. I have planted other pop corns and always have good luck if I can manage to keep the darm worms out of it. LOL! Should be ok this year as it was so cold here I am sure the stock pile of army worms has died back.

Dor,
We don't have a Houston here. Wonder if I register if you can get my disoucnt?

Karen,
Sorry :( I just get so eccited I have to share. Come down for a visit you can help me :D

Randy,
I love the Beef Masters. Mine are up I am trying to harden them off for the garden. They have been in the green room since Jan. I transitioned them to the deck this morning for some real sun and cooler temps. I planted a lot of specialty types I hope they do well.

I harvested the last of my cabbages on Sunday and managed to get 16 qts. of kraut put up last night. I had to search for a good recipe. I add more vinegar because I didn't think it was tart enough. Anyone have a tried and true for Kraut??

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Debe,
This is the first time I have planted the Black Hulless, I hope it does well that is one thing Tim asked me to plant. I have planted other pop corns and always have good luck if I can manage to keep the darm worms out of it. LOL! Should be ok this year as it was so cold here I am sure the stock pile of army worms has died back.

not only did I fight worms but I do think ...if I remember correctly they needed a longer growing season that I have here...although all the other corns we had in did very well

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the package said 72 days. But now I am afraid it might cross with my yellow sweet and not pop. I may have them planted to close together. :(

Dor

Debe,

Dor,
We don't have a Houston here. Wonder if I register if you can get my disoucnt?

Karen,
Sorry :( I just get so eccited I have to share. Come down for a visit you can help me :D

Randy,
I love the Beef Masters. Mine are up I am trying to harden them off for the garden. They have been in the green room since Jan. I transitioned them to the deck this morning for some real sun and cooler temps. I planted a lot of specialty types I hope they do well.

I harvested the last of my cabbages on Sunday and managed to get 16 qts. of kraut put up last night. I had to search for a good recipe. I add more vinegar because I didn't think it was tart enough. Anyone have a tried and true for Kraut??

I am not sure if it will work CG but my friend is going to let me have hers. She doesn't have the garden't bug like I do.

What have I planted? What haven't I planted!

Peas, beets, turnips, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach.

I've got tomatoes, garden huckleberries, bush cherry and goji berry seeds planted indoors.

Jason

Dor

I used $19 of my gift card today. I bought 10, 4 inch pots of assorted tomatoes and 6, 4inch pots of everbearing strawberries.

Seventeen of my peat pots of tomatoes have germanated. Lowe's has their quart veggies for $1.98 for 5 days starting tomorrow. I want to buy a Lemon boy tomato and a Champion.

I read somewhere that is best to direct sow your cucumber seeds after all danger of frost because they don't transplant well. Has anyone found this to be true? Has you bought cucumber plants before?

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh forgot to say that I'm thinking of trying some lettuce and spinach this weekend in my planters on the deck and see how it does

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have started seeds for cukes in pots and I had some make it and some did not, so I direct seed now. Our ground stays cool longer than many areas, so even direct seeding sometimes has to be done more than once or even twice.

Dor

I was about half and half last year on my cucumbers surviving but I sowed my seeds too late. It was pretty warm.

I meant to say has anyone bough cucumber plants before above. I need to proofread more often. I am going to buy a couple I think.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What have I planted? What haven't I planted!

Peas, beets, turnips, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach.

I've got tomatoes, garden huckleberries, bush cherry and goji berry seeds planted indoors.

Jason

Wow Jason, you got the jump on spring. I am going to plant my carrots and beets this weekend;) What kind of carrots did you plant. I have some thumbalinas , they grow well here and I am trying bright lights this year.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor,
With it getting warmer here faster I cannot transplant any cukes , mellons, or squash, They just seem to not like to be moved once it gets warm. They will grow so easy just throwing them out I find it less of a chore ;)

Thanks for reminding me Laurie, if I don't get my spinach out it will be too late.
You lettuce should do great in pots as will the spinach and that way you can keep the critters out of it ...maybe ;)

smiley_face2

I was about half and half last year on my cucumbers surviving but I sowed my seeds too late. It was pretty warm.

I meant to say has anyone bough cucumber plants before above. I need to proofread more often. I am going to buy a couple I think.

I've always done both! true they do not like to be transplanted so you have to do it before any roots start showing out the bottoms of the pots! so I don't start them indoors too early, so they don't need to be moved up to another pot, just right outside. also you have to be even more careful it seems, of not getting soil up around the base of the plants.
The only kind I ever grow anymore, whether I buy little plants, or start seeds is called sweet slice. they are like a cross between a regular and a long english. you can eat them with skins on cause they're tender, or peel them, when they are really little or when they get really big. They are never bitter, burpless so no heartburn! and resistant to anything that comes their way! so forgiving if you miss watering.... don't know how they'd do for your area though....maybe someone would know at the garden center? they are pretty much seedless, although last year I let a couple go to seed...took ages!! I don't think I want to waste the time and energy planting them though in case they don't come true from the seed, so I'll just go buy new seeds again, and a few plants when they show up in the nursery.
I planted my peas, radish and lettuce. Will start my tomatoes and cukes either today or tomorrow, depending if the nursery has my seed in....
I wish the garden center was open now!! lol... (it's 6:49 am) I'll pick up a 4 or 6 pack of buttercrunch lettuce then as well...get a big jump on the fresh lettuce!

smiley_face2

Oh forgot to say that I'm thinking of trying some lettuce and spinach this weekend in my planters on the deck and see how it does

I always plant lettuce and radish in pots on my deck! pretty much every single morning when I make hubby's sandwhiches for his lunch, he gets fresh lettuce in them! I love opening my kitchen door and picking something to eat! my deck off my kitchen is on the small side, otherwise I'd have some of my tomatoe and cucumber buckets up there too.... for those I have to go down the 7 steps into the garden :rolleyes:
I use my fresh herbs "en masse" so I just keep them down in the garden as well....otherwise I'd have a pot of them up there too....
I think I'll try some spinach this year too....we love spinach salad! you need so much to cook for dinner, you couldn't really grow it in pots on the deck for that, but for adding in a salad that would work well!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com