Identify this pest please

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

OrchidThief79

I have a dwarf plumeria tree, and on the underside of some leaves I see these little bug-like things. They don't move and they look like what you find on fern leaves. They're more rounded than flat. Are these scale? Thanks.
32712476-d615-fbf6.jpg
32712476-d626-14ca.jpg

Plumeria do not tend to have pests problems.
The spots on yours could be a mold/fungi or scale.
Is this plant outdoors, or indoors?
Are the spots shiny?

Last edited:
Welcome Orchid Thief,
At least your honest about it. LOL! ;)
Can you "rub" them off? If so are they wet and sticky? Or dry and hard?
You can always use something such as neem oil or organicide. Organicide is a fungicide and pesticide in one and will kill scales or molds/fungus. ;)

After looking around at some pics on the internet, I think its scale. I've had scale on other plants though, and they were a lighter color and flatter. On this plant they're a darker color and rounder. I'll try a spray (neem, etc.).

@bob - its grown outside. And i think just about every plumeria here in hawaii has plumeria rust, so i use a fungicide on this one about three times a year to keep it in check. you say that plumeria tend to not have pests, but scales are insects, right?

@crabber - my screenname refers to a book called The Orchid Thief. I don't actually steal orchids ;)

After looking around at some pics on the internet, I think its scale. I've had scale on other plants though, and they were a lighter color and flatter. On this plant they're a darker color and rounder. I'll try a spray (neem, etc.).

@bob - its grown outside. And i think just about every plumeria here in hawaii has plumeria rust, so i use a fungicide on this one about three times a year to keep it in check. you say that plumeria tend to not have pests, but scales are insects, right?

@crabber - my screenname refers to a book called The Orchid Thief. I don't actually steal orchids ;)

Aw, was hoping you had a ghost orchid in possession ;)

White tea / chamomile is a natural fungicide, you can just make a batch, let it cool then spray it.

I am also much worried due to little pests and termites in my garden. These pests effects my garden badly and harmful for plants. can some one tell me how can i remove these pests form my garden permanently. I want to remove these pests as soon as possible. I am much worried due to pests.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back