Indoor "Greenhouse"?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Living in minnesota means a short growing season. I don't have an actual greenhouse, so I start ALL my plants in my house in a window. They do all right, but I am wondering what ideas you can give me for keeping them warmer so they are healthier. The average temp in late winter/early spring indoors is about 50F. Probably colder in the window, any ideas?

P.S. I read that you can put the seed flats in baggies to lock in water, and create a "Mini Greenhouse". What is your opinion? What do I do when the plants get to tall for the baggies? Thanks for the replies.:)

Maybe put them in something with plastic around it to keep them warmer. Wow I thought 62 is chilling for my house but 50 that is too chilly for me. I start mine in the windows too. I have some maters growing in my spare room and the temp is out 55 at night and they are growing good

It depends on the plants if you really want them warmer. Heat mats work (I think most unregulated ones will increase the temperature by 10 degrees or something in that range.) If you use it regularly, making a nice little greenhouse from glass and wood could be worth it. Grow lights do help to raise the temperature, too.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back