Mildew, rust, etc.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rancherguy

For the past few years I have been having a severe problem with plant diseases. If I spray constantly with various plant disease spray, or use powders (I have tried various kinds), I can save some things. Problem is, I can not keep up with everything, and it seems to be getting worse every year. This year my tomatoes are affected as well, which I've never had a problem with at all in over 15 years of gardening personally. And usually things don't start happening until into June.

Some of this will not pertain to vegetables, but I'm describing the problem as best I can. I have powdery mildew (I believe) that likes my vining plants. In addition I have what looks like powdery mildew/mold looking type stuff that gets on my lilac bushes. If I plant sunflowers, they get diseased on their leaves, and the leaves dry up. Grape vines too. I live on a 900 acre ranch, it has gotten all of my wild sunflowers as well, and a few other wild plants out in the pasture (away from any trees, open fields). It seems to like some broadleaf weeds, some not. My apple trees get cedar apple rust.

With the garden, I have tried keeping it clean, prepping the soil in the fall, spring, etc., but whatever I have, seems to be everywhere. I've tried planting in new ground, over 300 yards from the existing garden and away from trees. I've tried in old gardens not used in more than a decade. And I've tried in old calf pens, with a nice layer of manure that has been vacant long enough to be not too stout.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I basically need a garden, but with all the $ I would need to spend on everything to keep ahead of the problem, as well as the extra time I need to do it that I don't have, I'm kind of fed up with the deal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some "magical" product that would work, or have a suggestion as to why no matter what I plant, wherever I plant, about everything catches something, if any of it is related to each other? I think if I would plant something a mile from my yard I'd still have problems the way the sunflowers in the pasture were. I am not a disease expert, I think I have a few different types of things going on here.

I've tried getting plants from a couple different nurseries (the only ones around), I've started from seeds using purchased soil, etc. I'm out of ideas, and it's getting tiring.

Here is what my cucumbers, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes are looking like. The tomatoes and sweet potatoes never caused a problem before this year. It is quick acting, cucumbers went from looking great, to leaves crunchy dried up within 3 days (I wasn't able to get to them, and I'm just replanting since I only have a couple plants). It has been difficult weather wise this year, I will say (hot, record breaking, then cool).
http://tinyurl.com/3nu43v8

thanks

Sorry, duh. North centralish Nebraska, zone 4, basically flat ground, very low and sparse hills, mostly sand/sandy soil, well drained, water doesn't stand around in the yard. Never had to spray for anything prior to a few years ago, guess I was spoiled.

Types of trees around (if they carry certain diseases). Cottonwood (many), locust (many), boxelder (sp?), cedar (many), pine (few), black walnut (many), apple (2), mulberry (many), lilac bush (dozen or so). Dense around the main garden, always has been, not near the others. Forgot to mention black raspberries, leaves turn kind of yellow if I remember correctly, rabbits ate off all the old growth this winter (first time that's happened as well) so only new leaves and nothing on them yet. Does not seem to affect blackberry, at least much.

Also, for a couple years had severe problems with Japanese Beetles. It's probably a coincidence, but pretty much since they stopped bothering, this started. Trying to mention everything, best I can.

And groundhogs moved in last year. Shoot/trap what I can, many of them. Coons as well, gave up on corn years ago. 5 deer have been running bravely through the yard as well, and I see tracks in the garden. I guess something is trying to get me to stop the garden (which they had to jump the wire panels to get in, which they do easily, just saying they wanted in there).

Ok!
Sounds like you are ready to throw in the towel and give up!
Now where to start:
Mildew thrives in areas where there is poor air circulation. lack of air movement, especially in the morning after a heavy dew encourages mildew infestation. You might like to think about thinning out your trees around your garden areas!

The only vector for rust transmission are the cedars for the first phase and the apple trees the secondary! Think in terms ot cedar-->apple trees the first year, then apple---> cedars the second and continue this over the years... only solution is to either get rid of the cedars, or the apple trees! Or, you can spray yearly to minimize the damage to the apple trees!
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/cedar-applerust/cedar-applerust.htm

Looks some of the problems are cyclic such as the Japanese beetles. They usually come in waves depending upon the severity of your winters. With low, or no, snow cover usually knocks down the survival rate of their larvae!

Black walnuts do harbour a few fungi which can infect surrounding vegetation! They also produce an chemical 'juglone' which stunts the growth of crops like tomato, peppers and the like! Juglone is an interesting self-protection for the walnuts to limit competition! Here's a good read on the juglone problem: http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/articles/2003/juglone.shtml

I'd give up on the sunflowers and grow clover instead! Clover would help revitalize the soil!
All I can add at this point is perhaps you should rethink what you are planting and try resistant varieties!

Thank you very much for the information. Forgot a couple catalpa trees as well, their seed pods blow into the garden, they have always been there as well, very big as long as I can remember. Main garden is open on north and south sides, trees on west, and some small buildings on east. Usually a good breeze blowing through, thought it was enough, but maybe not.... I had figured out on my own that b. walnut trees were not good to plant under. Thanks to that article, didn't know about the roots as well, that could explain some of my problems there this year.

What I can't figure out with the mildew is the other gardens, they are in open areas. I used Google Earth to determine that the main other one is around 160 feet from the nearest trees (locust), and 240 feet from a black walnut. Wind circulation all the way around, and never any thick or tall grass around (grazed). Still have the mildew problems out there. I have separate tools over there, separate hose/watering, different well, I use a plow (as in a tractor (not garden or utility, but big tractor) plow) to prepare it, instead of the small tiller. Guess I could be transferring on my boots. I have not planted the other gardens this year, well yet anyway, thought I would save time

I didn't know, just mentioning the sunflowers because I don't know what they are getting. The sunflowers I plant are the big seed kind, the ones in the pasture are the normal wild kind for the area. Like I say, way out in the open, no trees around, plus I always hay there (cut the grass, rake it, bale, and move it off, clean). Gets the leaves, I wish I would have pictures, I don't think I do, but maybe if I get time I might have taken some of the ones I planted. The wild kind die quicker than the seed kind, the seed kind gets a decent head on them, they look pretty good, but I have to spray them often, and they still go downhill.

I read up on the cedar apple rust before, I determined what kept it going. I only have the two apple trees, and I ~need them, can't move them, and I probably have nearly a 1000 cedar trees "close enough", so removing them is not an option, need the wind protection anyway. Wish it wouldn't have gotten here, because it used to be very nice not having to spray all the time.

Welcome,rancherguy!
Have you talked to your local ag dept.? They should be able to help.
Does the field need to go fallow? If it has been producing for years,the soil may be depleated. A green manure would do a world of good in that case.
Do you have good bugs around? You can tell alot from soil by what's living in it.

I don't have much to add and this little tid bit probably won't help much with all your problems but it would be worth a try on some things. I had a problem with a mildew/mold type fungus on tomato plants and an elderly farmer suggested that I spray the plants with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of water. It's not strong enough to hurt the plant and so far it seems to be working.

You can use baking soda also! Think it's a teaspoon per gallon of water.
A squirt of dish soap helps to make it stick to the foliage!
The bicarbonate of soda ups the PH and makes life next to impossible for the mildew to survive!

I do exactly like RonsGarden suggests. In California I would never be able to keep my roses without this solution! We have powdery mildew year round.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back