my amaryllis bulb

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Holy_Wood80

my boyfriend bought me an amaryllis bulb kit in the beginning of december and I planted it right away and it was suppose to grow a stem and bloom before christmas and its february and all it grew was really tall leaves that are 27 inches tall and it doesnt have a stem or anything just really tall leaves, I was wondering why it hasnt bloomed yet or anything and I was also wondering since the leaves are so tall can I cut them down some? or will it kill the plant? my amaryllis is planted in a pail with soil and the brand of the kit is Smith & Hawken

Blueaussi

I wouldn't cut the leaves, the bulb needs the leaves to produce energy to grow. What are your growing conditions? As in, how much light is it getting, what are the temperatures, how often do you water it, is it getting any fertilizer and what kind of fertilizer...stuff like that.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
just give it time...some times it takes a bit longer...as blue said don't cut the leaves though...they need that to put the stem out and then for them to bloom...

Holy_Wood80

I wouldn't cut the leaves, the bulb needs the leaves to produce energy to grow. What are your growing conditions? As in, how much light is it getting, what are the temperatures, how often do you water it, is it getting any fertilizer and what kind of fertilizer...stuff like that.

hi,

I have the temperature in my room at 64-67, sometimes a little higher but I try to keep it somewhat warm in my room and I have it by a window so it gets alot of natural day light and some indirect sunlight and I was watering it once a week but on the directions of the bulb kit says to water it more when the leaves start growing so now I water it twice a week and I keep the soil moist and I dont fertilize it because it says in the directions not to fertilize it until it starts to flower

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have its culture and care right....but, I would start fertilizing to help fatten up the bulb! It will encourage flower production!
I use a water soluable type 10-30-15 every other week at half strength.

Holy_Wood80

You have its culture and care right....but, I would start fertilizing to help fatten up the bulb! It will encourage flower production!
I use a water soluable type 10-30-15 every other week at half strength.

I wanna try fertilizing my bulb but I was wondering if Miracle gro liquid all purpose plant food (for all houseplants) good enough for the bulb? if so how much of it should I use and how much water? I believe the type is 8-7-6

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also not knowing the age of the bulb , it's hard to say if is even of a blooming age. The smaller the bulb the younger the bulb, the longer to bloom.If it's too young it may not bloom this year.:(

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanna try fertilizing my bulb but I was wondering if Miracle gro liquid all purpose plant food (for all houseplants) good enough for the bulb? if so how much of it should I use and how much water? I believe the type is 8-7-6

What do the directions say?
I'm not familiar with using liquid fertilizer, I always buy the dry water soluable types that you mix with water.
The directions should tell you how much to use.
8-7-6 should be ok, but a higher ratio would be better such as 10-30-15.

sharry_lynn

Also, you're supposed to plant amaryllis with the neck and top of the bulb sticking out of the soil. If you plant them too deep, they will not bloom. Usually the kits like that are ready to bloom, but maybe yours wasn't forced properly. Amaryllis are a little finicky and don't like to be moved, so sometimes they won't bloom the first year after re-planting. If you keep caring for it like you are, and it doesn't bloom this spring, I'd expect it to bloom next spring.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com