My Pineapple Project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Trax

I really didn't think Pineapples would grow here but I was def wrong. They love hot weather!

I started this one by cutting off the top of a pineapple mom bought at the store. The leaves were tuff and green (that's very important) and I made the cut about 1 inch from the top. Then I hung the top up to dry for a week. That was about 2 years ago.

The instructions I found online said to put it in water after it dried, then wait for roots to start. I just put my top in a pot of garden dirt and about 30% miracle grow - after I stripped off about a dozen leaves from the bottom.
Very important. Never let dirt get on the leaves.

I watered it and waited and it finally started growing but the main plant died and left a baby. Now that baby is a big pineapple plant! :D

Other important stuff. Never let it get colder than 65*F (18*C) and if your climate is dry then spray the leaves so they won't dry out. Feed it light plant food about 1-2 times each week. That's the part I forgot but I'm doing that now.

If a red cone pops out in the middle of the plant then cover it with bird netting or something. Hummingbirds love pineapple flowers but if that flower gets pollinated then the pineapple won't be edible. The red cone will turn into a stem with a pineapple on top! :D If it has really good care then it only takes 2 years for it to flower and make a new pineapple - even if it's grown totally indoors!

Here's a pic I took of my Pineapple today! :) They love temps in the 100's (F)! I grow mine in the shade.

7681276660_1acf01ff82_z.jpg

Z010 by Trax, on Flickr

If anyone else is growing pineapples, please share. :)
Btw, that pot is about 1 foot wide.

Last edited:
Hey you've done great Trax! Sometimes the tops take aaaages to root almost 12 months and pups are quite common. It looks really healthy and I may grow some more this year myself. Found a pic of some from 2011:)

Attachments

• pineapple.jpg
    pineapple.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 306
  • pineapples.jpg
    pineapples.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 315
Awesome! :eek: I've read about the red cone flower they make but that's the 1st time I've seen one! Thanks for sharing! :) I can't wait till mine gets big enough to make a pineapple. I'm def gonna get more started this year and just keep growing them inside this winter. :D

You are one busy dude Josh!
I have a friend who has dozens of pineapple plants that produce for him. Mine just seem to get frozen every year :( I have way too many plants to bring in so they just get left out. My friends are in the ground so I can't figure out why his do so well and mine freeze. :rolleyes:

Thanks! :D

You are one busy dude Josh!
I have a friend who has dozens of pineapple plants that produce for him. Mine just seem to get frozen every year :( I have way too many plants to bring in so they just get left out. My friends are in the ground so I can't figure out why his do so well and mine freeze. :rolleyes:

I love summer! :D You really should ask your friend how he/she does it. If they won't tell, then spy on them. :cool: Yay espionage! :p

Here's a photo of mine.
I snipped the tips off so I don't get stabbed!!!
It's 2 years old:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
That's a beauty Ron! Good idea about snipping the ends off they're pointy little buggers alright!

Thanks guys!
Those terminal spines are deadly! Thankfully the leaf edges are not serated like some species!
My Yucca is just as bad, but I tend to leave it along and wear gloves when I need to clean out all the dead leaves in spring clean up!
The 4 Spanish Bayonets have the terminal spines but are still small and do not pose a threat yet....once they get older they will be nasty and probably will snip the ends.

are Spanish bayonets the same as Spanish daggers? Yes I snip off the ends so I don't get stabbed when getting in or out of my car.

Hmmm! They are two species of them! One's hardy up here....so thatt's why they survived the last 3 winters!

I put some out between the sidewalk and street in front of my house and they can poke you good if I don't trim them. Once I got out of the car and came into the house and looked down at my pant leg and it was red with blood where I had been poked. I started snipping them then.

Back in the day, my mom had them planted under her windows for peeping tom's ;)
As kids we used them as weaopns in "Cowboy's and Indians" or today's politically correct , "Western Americans and Native Americans" sorry couldn't help myself.
and yes.... they can leave nasty little holes. But we thought they were really cool.

Last edited:
I put them out there because the grass wouldn't grow and I needed something to use that took little water.

If I manage to grow a pineapple this year I'll put in pics of it's progress but they're very slow growers, so be patient lol!

John,
Gardening is ALL about patients. Patients for the weather to change, patients for the seeds to germinate, patients for the fruits to grow, patients for the weather to change, oh wait I already covered that ;) You get the picture.
we will be looking forward to any pictures at any stage

Oh I get it lol...patience is a virtue you know! :D I'll post pics when it actually does something like a new leaf etc;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back