My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I keep some in the freezer as part of my stash. When leftovers are in short supply, especially on the weekend, I can heat up a can of chili and pour some over a couple of wieners and it makes a decent meal.

Back to the veggie garde-
All my little seedlings are up. I have them in a window and they are reaching for the sun. I have to go get another plant bulb. I burned up 4 from last year. Boy the don't seem to be lasting long

Plug them into a power bar with surge protection!
That should help to extend their lifespan!
I replace my tubes every two years!

Thanks Ron. I couldn't figure out why they went so fast. I only use them about 3-4 hours a day for about 2-3 months depending on the weather. At $5 for a reg bulb and $8 for a 24" tube , it gets a little pricey.

I didn't have any damage to the seedling in the garden. I covered them all with sheets. Every sheet I own that was not on a bed. I made little tent stakes out of palmetto fronds to keep the sheet from touching the plants

I use mine from January right through into May, and have them on for 14 to 16 hours per day.
I use 48" Day Light 40w from GE which are a lot cheaper then Wide, or Full Spectrum ones!
Cost $20.00 for 4 them.

Crabbergirl,
Hope you got your lights. If anyone's checking, Home Depot carries Philips brand and Lowes carries GE. Philips' 6500k temperature bulbs are called Daylight Deluxe and GE's 6500k bulbs are called Daylight. The advice I picked up for plant growth was to use 6500k when you can get then, and 5000k (Philips Natural, GE Sunshine) if you can't. These are much cheaper than "PlantGro" labeled bulbs.

Wow, everything is so healthy looking. Between the fiasco last year with water shortages and restrictions, bugs, heat, heat, heat and health problems this year I haven't replanted other than a few flowers , Tommytoes and a Golden Pear Tomato in pots. Oh well, a few more years I'll be retired and hopefull have time and energy between traveling to work more in my garden.

White Wolf ~ it is very nice to meet you! I'm Curbie. I love what the bottom of your thing says b/c I am a TRUE animal lover. I've had tarantulas to birds to squirrels to fish to cats and dogs to an iguana. My husband gets a wee bit upset but he can't figure out why his beagle ran away! :) Shoot, I would have run away! It was never fed! Where do you live? Sounds like you're a good gardener. Do you have a large yard? What kind of soil? (Ron knows I ask too many questions ~ oh well! :) ) Please stay with us! Nice to meet new people ~ Curbie

I'll be planting my first crop of peas soon as March is getting near, with hopefully less humidity. I'll also try for a second crop of capsicum, cucumber, eggplant, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, sweet corn, sweet potato, tomatoes & zucchini plus anything else I can squeeze in lol.

Crabbergirl,
Hope you got your lights. If anyone's checking, Home Depot carries Philips brand and Lowes carries GE. Philips' 6500k temperature bulbs are called Daylight Deluxe and GE's 6500k bulbs are called Daylight. The advice I picked up for plant growth was to use 6500k when you can get then, and 5000k (Philips Natural, GE Sunshine) if you can't. These are much cheaper than "PlantGro" labeled bulbs.

Great Tip! I actually picked up the wrong size tube yesterday and need to exchange it. So I will check the price difference. I got it at Lowe's. I need to print this out to carry with me. Thank you:)

White Wolf,
What zone or area are you in? We always like to know where our garden buddies are. Me I am in Florida and have an extended growing season. You mentioned water restrictions , I feel your pain on that one.

I'll be planting my first crop of peas soon as March is getting near, with hopefully less humidity. I'll also try for a second crop of capsicum, cucumber, eggplant, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, sweet corn, sweet potato, tomatoes & zucchini plus anything else I can squeeze in lol.

In the next few weeks I will begin putting seeds in the ground for my spring and summer crops, much like what you are doing. I just can't wait. I so miss being able to be in the garden everyday :(

I love peas.My grandfather (who had no use for me) would put mashed potatoes KNIFE and then stick peas to them. I was so fascinated. Peas are my favorite vegetable. Broccoli is next and then the rest. I have often wondered if I'm part rabbit. Carrots! Hey, is a tomato a fruit or a veggie? Curbster

In the next few weeks I will begin putting seeds in the ground for my spring and summer crops, much like what you are doing. I just can't wait. I so miss being able to be in the garden everyday :(

Oh yeah I understand how you feel 'cause I would be the same. It's something that I just take for granted and maybe I should'nt :) It'll be great (pics please) to see all your veggies come up, in the comming weeks. My snake beans have finished now and all I have left are the purple climbing beans.
Curbie I really like peas too and I try and get two crops in before it gets too hot, also tomatoes are a fruit:)

You can't go wrong with the purple climbers. They are awesome producers.
I set my seedlings out last night because it was supposed to rain. We 100% humidity but no rain. Just a warm sticky mess! LOL! I walked the garden after work and my spinach has true leaves now!!!!! and the new planted cilantro looks good. Most of the cole crops are up but going slow> I think it has just been too warm. If it is not raining tomorrow I will get some pics! I am so excited to be in the gardne!

I believe women generally are more careful about the foods they eat and that usually means more vegetables and fewer meats. It is pathetic what our foods industry has done with prepared foods though by putting so much garbage in them that make them unhealthy. Our gardens produce much healthier food and it is much better tasting. Even if we pay an equal amount in money, we are still ahead on the other benefits.

I agree Randy. We don't have a yard large enough for veggies. SOMEbody, planted too many flowers years ago so ...... It's a pretty yard instead of a veggie garden. I still would like to know what (hope I spell this right) mono sodium glutimate is. Is it in laundry detergent? I could never slaughter an animal but I could pick a cucumber! Wish I could grow veggies. :) I'll stop whining :) Curbmeister

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back