new to roses... What to do?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Buggzter

Hi everyone

I'm new to having a real garden space. I REALLY want to get some roses... Well, a LOT of roses, actually. I would like to line both sides of our house with roses. Both sides, I think get a fair amount of sun during the day (I'll be checking for sure before I plant). The sides are north and south.

I want to have one climber on each side I think, but also I want the space between them or in front to have other plants as well that would compliment them.

Should I go with potted roses, or bare root systems for the spring? Would irises or lilies go well between them? Day lilies? Or should I do something like marigolds or other annuals to fill the spaces?

What sorts of roses should we look at planting that should grow well? What source would you recommend? :) Pictures of the areas to plant will be coming - I promise! :D

Check the areas for the total amount of sunshine they recieve each day!
Full sun is 6+ hours per day.
Partial sun is 4+ hours per day.
Partial shade is 3 hours of sun!
Roses need the maximum of 6+ to grow and bloom well!
So please check the amount of light requirements of each species you are thinking about so you will know where to plant them for maximum growth and blooming.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back