New Year’s Gardening Resolutions: Celebrating A New Year In The Garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

A

Amy Grant

I don’t know about anyone else, but my New Year’s resolutions seem destined to be verbal promises with no hope of follow through. That is unless they are New Year’s gardening resolutions. By the time New Year’s Eve arrives (actually months before), gardening is literally all I can think of. It’s already been months since I got my hands good and dirty, so I’ve been dreaming and scheming about the next season’s garden.

New Year, New Garden

A new year in the garden promises and delivers a fresh start, a chance to fix all the errors I’ve made in the garden and improve or transform those spaces that need extra attention. Because I love to garden, I end up with dozens of New Year’s gardening resolutions. Some may be minor, such as hanging a new bird feeder, while others may be major, like having some trees taken out or building a terraced garden. Invariably, I will decide I need to plant a new shrub, flowering perennial, vine or tree…or a few.

Reflecting on a new year in the garden also drums up some more unusual New Year’s gardening resolutions. For instance, I thought I might volunteer at the local botanical garden or teach small scale vertical gardening to seniors. I, of course, resolve to read more gardening books, especially in the next few months when snow and frost keep my itching hands from mucking in the dirt. Another resolution I’m sure won’t sit on a shelf collecting dust is to go on a gardening excursion. There are several lovely public gardens near me that I haven’t seemed to make time to view. This year is that time!

Another thing I’d like to do in the garden is crafting. I plan to dry flowers both for arrangements and press flowers for use on stationary. I’m also going to pickle everything that isn’t nailed down this year.

I could go on and on about all of the gardening resolutions I’m going to make, but just like any resolution, without some determination, they aren’t going to happen. Plus, sometimes you need someone to help make your gardening dreams come true, like a partner in crime so to speak.

So, on that note, I’m going on the gardening excursions with my sister while I put my husband (aka: my partner in crime) to work cleaning out the shed…a New Year’s gardening resolution I’m less than thrilled about. Thanks, honey!

The post New Year’s Gardening Resolutions: Celebrating A New Year In The Garden appeared first on Gardening Know How's Blog.

Continue reading...

If you want to attract more birds, try to entice them with their common food sources such as suet, seeds, and peanuts. You can also catch their attention with the use of small fruits such as cherries or berries on a platform or tray feeder. But no matter what your feeder is, make sure the food is accessible and installed in a spot where they can comfortably eat and perch on.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back