No Flowering Hydrangea

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mindy01

I have a Hydrangea that never Flowers! On the West side of my House grows really well. My other Hydrangea is Flower all summer long variety, it dosen't! it;s on the East side of my House had a few Flowers and kind of yellowish leaves. Is it a Fertilizer Problem for both?

Mindy
It maybe more then just a fertilizing issue!
Hydrangeas love moisture and a rich soil and the also require partial sun.
Soil ph should be neutral to slightly acidic in order for them to grow well and flower!
Is this a big leaf variety with dark green leaves?

My one on the East side of the House gets the Morning Sun the other afternoon Sun. Yes it is the big leaf variety that is supposed to flower all summer long. The one on the East side of the House has a Funny color to it.I even put some triple 19 fretilizer on it, no change, it is nice and big. My other one, West side of House that one never Flowers but looks the best. Go figure !!!!! should i water the heck out of them?

Did you prune them in the spring?

If the leaves stay pale then they need a shot of iron!
The best fert, is one designed for acid loving flowering plants

There is usually very little need to prune them unless they gat out of bounds.
Keep the pruning to only removing dead wood, removing spent flower heads, and weak growth.
In the spring when the buds break, you can prune the stem down to the first healthy bud if their is winter die back!

Pine needles are great as a mulch, but they do not acidify the soil much!
Peat moss would be better, and use the pine needles as a decorative mulch!
You can use aluminum sulphate to help acidify the soil but do not use too much.
Another product is a fert designed for acid loving plants....there are various brands such as Miracid!

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back