Pepper Plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

I found some left over pepper seed from years gone by and I decided what the heck so I threw some of the seed in a pot and these are what I got. I thought they were the cayenne seed when I planted them. Does anyone know what they are and if they are edible? I have seen these before but don't remember their name. I think they make a pretty plant but they should be in a pot.

Attachments

• Pepper 1.jpg
    Pepper 1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Pepper 3.jpg
    Pepper 3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Peppers 1.jpg
    Peppers 1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 291

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool Maggie! I love those little surprises. I am always running across seeds from days gone by some are not marked so it's like waiting to see if you won the lottery. You just never know what you might get;)

Maggie

Definitely chilli peppers!
They are all edible, if you can stand the heat!

I thought they might be chili peppers to but they are not hot (not even a little sting) but they are very bitter according to Buford. I'm afraid to try them.
I thought they could also be some kind of ornamental peppers that you can't eat.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
They very well could be. Some look very much alike. You can eat them they just do not taste like what you think.

thyme2garden

Tabasco Peppers

Maggie, I believe what you have there are tabasco pepper plants. They are unique in that they grow up instead of down from their stems like most other peppers. If you google "tabasco peppers" you can see lots of pictures of pepper plants similar to yours.

I was under the impression that all peppers, ornamental or not, are edible, as long as you grow them yourself. Some ornamental pepper plants may be marked "not edible" because of whatever type of commercial pesticides or chemicals that may have been used on the plant. But if you grow a plant from seed yourself, then even ornamental peppers should be edible, I think.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com