Please Help with lost of Oranges

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

scjarena

Newbie here, this spring, my satsuma tree has finally put on some fruit, but either it is falling off, or something is eating the little fruit, which is between the size of a BB to pee size. I live about 40 miles SW of Houston, out in the country, with a lot of surrounding trees and countryside. Any tips finding out what is eating it, or how to stop would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's possible it is self-pruning, but I would contact your local county extension office and ask them. My Dad had a term for the self-pruning event. He called it June drop, but it isn't June yet so it would be good to check with the extension office. Those are usually sponsored by your state universities agricultural departments, probably in your case would be Texas A & M.

Welcome!
I am in agreement with Randy on checking with your local ag center. They may know of any disease or such that might be in your area that would cause this dropping.

Scjarena. I think I read that you live in the Houston area also. My Myer lemon tree and Rio red grapefruit have the tiny fruit also. They are not drop theirs though. How old is your tree. The AG told me to pull mine off if my tree was younger than three years so that all the energy could go to the roots the problem is I didn't buy my trees from them and have no idea how old they are. I am going to do what they say anyway. Go ahead and call as Randy advised they have a wealth of info, I have gone to Fort Bend county and Harris county plant sales this spring and they have a wealth of info to offer. A plant sale is coming up this month if you are interested. I missed the tree and plant give away last Saturday at Discovery Green. Did you go? They gave away 300 plants and trees.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back