quinoa

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

I want to start eating quinoa, but have never made it before. Anyone have any good recipes?

I'm working on using quinoa, but so far my cooking has been very basic. I cook it like I do rice, and use it as a starch in the meal. So far I haven't been very daring, I've just tried a few things, like sauteing it with onions and thyme, or cooking it in chicken broth instead of water.

Since He Who Makes My Heart Go Pitty Pat sent me some saffron for Valentine;s Day, I have been meaning to give this a try.

Saffron Quinoa

1 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
Pinch of saffron threads
2 Tablespoons hot water
1/3 teaspoon Espelette pepper*
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup Quinoa (Jasmine rice can be used if preferred)
Salt to taste

Rub saffron threads between your fingers to break them up letting
them fall into the hot water, add espelette pepper and let this soak.

Sautee onion in olive oil in a medium saucepan. When almost
translucent add garlic and fry a little longer. Don't allow the
garlic to brown. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil, add quinoa.
Cover and simmer on low until much of the water has been asorbed.
Then add the saffron and espelette pepper, stir, cover and continue
cooking until moisture has been absorbed.

*If not available a medium hot ground chile powder like Thai Roasted chiles(not chili powder as used to make the meat and gravy Southwest dish)

Hi Jade cooking with quinoa can be a little tricky but once you get the hang of it it's very easy. As you probably know it can be used in a risotto 50/50 with rice and also in tabouleh. I've tried a few recipes and it seems to come down to what type of quinoa you use, red, black, white or flakes are all available :)
Quinoa Breakfast for 2

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup white quinoa
* 1 red apple grated - skin on if you wish
* 1 Banana sliced
* 2 tblspns pecan nuts - chopped
* 2 tblspns sunflower seeds
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* pinch salt
* 1/2 cup coconut cream/milk
* 1 tblspn flaxseed oil

Preparation

1. Slow boil one cup of water with the quinoa for 10 minutes, lid on saucepan. Then turn off heat and leave to absorb the remaining water for another 10 minutes.
2. While this is happening prepare the remaining ingredients.
3. When quinoa is ready place in a bowl and combine other ingredients.
4. You can add some chopped raisins if you wish.
5. Enjoy!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back