Saving seeds..Did I do this right?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I have some seeds that I have saved from last year. Some are really light colored and some are really dark colored. I was wondering if I did this right. I let them naturally dry out, some of them may have been in the sun. Any help is appreciated.

The only seeds I save on a regular basis are beans. I let the pods dry on the vines and shell them out and put them in jars and keep in the refrigerator. They are all white though (Blue Lake pole beans).

I have some seeds that I have saved from last year. Some are really light colored and some are really dark colored. I was wondering if I did this right. I let them naturally dry out, some of them may have been in the sun. Any help is appreciated.

We have had great results by:
- collecting the seeds, rinsing them off in a fine mesh wire kitchen strainer to get rid of as much "non-seed" residue as possbile.
- dry them on paper towel to get rid of excess water.
- spread them out on pieces of wax paper and set outside to dry. The first year we just put them on paper plates, but they stuck really bad (especially tomatoes). We try not to put them in direct sun because on larger seeds we've had them split from getting too hot too fast.
- once completely dry, put them in a zip-lock, label them and store inside. We put them in the pantry so they're out of direct light and the temperature is fairly cool and constant.

We have a great seedling crop this year of tomatoes, peppers, squash, zuccinni and egg-plant all growing from last years seeds.

Awesome, thanks BattleScott. I guess the sun is the reason for some of my seeds turning really dark and looking burnt. Not sure if they will germinate.

I have a question about saving seeds. I got lazy and well super busy last fall. I ended up collecting the dead flowers and I put them in a "to do" pile for later. Later never came. Would they still be worth sowing? Also the ones outside that I didnt bring in, are they still good? (I'm new to this if you couldn't tell). I live in Alberta, Canada where it gets cold and dry. Thank you for reading :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back