search for fruit tree idea

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

I have space for one more tree in my yard. Well I am removing a ginkgo that is a mess. I want an edible fruit or nut tree.

The problem is I only have room for one tree not two for pollination requirements.

This is in what USDA now considers 5A but I have witnessed -25 F in four of the last five years which is zone 4B.

This will also go in the front yard so curb appeal is a consideration.

First thought went to plum and pear but I am seeing requirements for pollinators.

Any ideas?

Well, how about a fruit tree with 3 or more grafted varieties?
It'll save you space and you get 3 or more varieties of fruit on one tree!

Good idea Ron! Now to find some that will survive the cold.

I am not sure about the cold tolerance of the Japanese Plum but we had just one, and it produced so much fruit. I let the neighborhood kids pick plums any time they wanted. I called it "the happy tree" because during fruiting season there were always a gaggle of kids laughing and playing around that tree. I just know that tree was happy, at least I was. It drove me "uppity" neighbor crazy :D

I was thinking about a multi-grafted tree but have not looked into it too much yet. Where was the recent thread about grafting things together? Its topic ranged from multi trees to potato/tomato mixes.

I was looking at a nursery website with plum mixes on peach rootstock for $20 to $30.

How well do the multi grafts work? Will one tend stronger than the others and take over?

Looks like nut trees will overgrow the area I have. That said an English walnut would be so nice. I need to look into whether I need two or will the several black walnuts around here work as pollinators.

My wishlist is
Northern James Pecan
Butternut aka white walnut
English walnut
Chestnut

I should have more land...

I have a peach tree. It doesn't grow too fast, it doesn't need male and female tree and it has survived lots of cold winters now.

I have a peach tree in my back yard. I got it as a 6 inch volunteer seedling from a coworker and it is starting it's fourth season in my yard. Now it is about 9 feet tall and nicely branched out and has about 30 fruit on it.

Peach is my fall back.

Apple is possible if I get one that flowers at the same time as my crab apple 30 feet away. I just don't want the spraying and such that goes with the pest heavy apple.

Peach is a good choice! You know what to do with the yearly regime and pruning.
Apples tend to be a mess if you don't keep at them.
Cherries tend to get a few nasties such as black aphids unless you keep spraying, then there's wormy fruit if you do not catch the pest in time!
Plums have a bad tendency to sucker everywhere (that is what I have to deal with with my German plum tree)! Then there's smut that occasionally pop up on newer branches that have to be removed....weavils can become a problem with scarring fruit and the occasional worm......

I ruled out cherries because I grew up in the self-proclaimed cherry capital of the world and even worked a few summers harvesting cherries. I'm done with those for several more years.

What would be a good planting time of year. I could plant now but we're quickly going to start heating up for summer. I could wait until about Sept 1 though.

I'll go with peach if I can't find a solid answer to the Carpathian walnut (Juglans regia) pollination. If the native black walnuts (J. nigra) will act as pollinators I'll plant a carpathian, aka english or persian, walnut. I have found four sources that say they J. regia and J nigra will hybridize and a few sources that say J. regia is at least partially self-fruitful. I have also found a nursery that is less than 100 miles away selling these online for $8 a tree 1 to 3 feet tall.

How much room do you have?
You could look at a couple trees. Maybe even two types that are self pollinating.
Of my 7 tress 6 are semi dwarf up to 25 feet tall, and one dwarf that should only get 6 feet tall. Two dwarfs could fit in a small area.
My dwarf is a Nectarine tree, that is supposed to be self pollinating, along with a Pear that is also and has 12 pears this year after planting in Aug last year. 12 dollar tree so far happy with that one.

How much room do you have?

Next to none. This will be in the center of an elliptical garden about 8 feet by 5 feet in the front (north west) corner of the property. This is in the front yard 8 feet off the sidewalk, 10 feet off the alley, 15 feet off the house.

The garden is filled with a mix of daisies, purple cone flower, and black-eyed susan and I typically plant a hot pepper or two in there each year.

I have a 50x100 foot lot with a house and a detached garage so far I have put these trees on it:
White spire birch - middle of the back yard expect 80 foot max height
Black walnut - behind the garage as far away from the house as possible without being on the neighbors property, only about 5 feet tall now.
2 Jane magnolias - really just shrubs, about 12' mature height - currently 6 and 8 feet tall
flowering crab apple - about 30 feet east of where this one will go
Keosa aka Japenese dogwood
pagoda dogwood - I think this is mostly a shrub though
soft maple - on the easement between sidewalk and street so technically city property
peach - volunteer from a coworker, now with fruit set, about 9 feet tall

Thinking about long term plans and we decided on peach. By the time we plan on moving it should be flowering and producing fruit but the walnut would still be a few years away. Also the peach will be a flowering tree to most people where the walnut will only be a large shade tree, just like the maple 40 feet away.

Last edited:
I would suggest the Weeping Cherry Tree. They are beautiful in color and edible great tasting cherries. Once you see how lovely they look I am sure you'll have your eyes set on them.
Hope this helps

Manda

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back