soiless mix

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

I am planning on trying winter sowing this winter. would a soiless mix consisting of peat, vermiculite, perilite, gypsum, lime, and wetting agent be ok for winter sowing seed?
thanks
Errol

Sounds good to me Errol!
I'd modify it a bit with perlite rather then vermiculite as perlite adds more air to the soil then vermiculte!
Gypsum and lime are ok in small amounts, a little goes a long way!
Wetting agents are usually a soap/detergent and are not really necessary.
The soil should be moist but not wet. Do the squeeze test!
I'm psyching myself up to get going on doing mine!
I sow in pots and place the pots in ziplock freezer bags, then put out on the deck in a bright spot but out of direct sun!

thanks Ron. there is very little lime and gypsum in the mix. I used this back in the spring and summer in a square foot garden and it did really well. I just didn't know about WS, since this will be my 1st yr for that. I have alot of gallon milk and water jugs and no telling how many 2 liter drink bottles, everyone around me been saving them for me!

Hey Errol,
Also , frozen juice cans will work well. I also like to crack my eggs on one end. Then save the shells and start seeds in them. You can plant the entire eggshell when you plant the seedling.;)

Hi Crabbergirl, the eggshell sounds great for starting seed. thanks for the suggestion!
Christmas is only a week away, so have a merry Christmas !!
Errol

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back