Stake Idaho Locust second year?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

Last year I bought an Idaho Locust and it has done very well (I live in southern Cal desert). I staked it according to instructions; this year its growth is incredible (most likely several feet since I planted it), and the trunk is a few inches in diameter (also, much more than when it was planted).

My question--for this second year, should it be staked also? I have read that if trees are too reliant on stakes, they won't grow as thick a trunk. So far, even in some 20-40 mph winds, I was surprised to see it holding up so well, even though our house offers some shelter from the winds (it is some 25 feet in front of our house in the front yard).

Should I stake it this second year? So far, knock on wood (no pun intended), I really haven't seen a need for it.

Try taking them off.
I have some good strong winds at my house in TN. Pretty sure it's not as bad as you though.
I planted 2 pears, 2 apples, 2 cherries, and 1 peach tree.
I realize I planted all of them "wrong"

When I planted them I dug a hole they fit into, put them in, put the dirt back and watered them a handful of times.
The apples are growing a little slow but were both shorter then me, now are a bit taller. The trunks of both are still kinda small.
The pears took off like a weed, one has gained about 4 feet, the other would be just as tall but I topped it so it is about 2 feet shorter.
The trunks of those have gotten thicker.
The Cherries both had a thick trunk and are now starting to get bigger.
The Peach I planted last month.

So far I have not had a single problem not having stakes.

OK, the stakes are not hooked up (the string fell down), although the posts are there. I think I'll leave the posts there for this year, in case I think I need them, but for the moment I'll not connect the stakes to the tree.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back