Start Orange Tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mindy01

I Have a Amber Sweet Orange Tree Growing in a Container, just wondering if i can start a new Orange Tree by taking a Cutting off the Tree? will it work? Bear Fruit? or have to be Grafted on Rooted Stock?

Hey Mindy!
Give it a try!
Named varieties are started from cuttings and or grafted onto hardy stock plants.

I think from memory at least your tree isn't a true orange. I think it's a hybrid between a clementine and a tangelo. Some citrus take as cuttings better than others. Grafting onto a healthy root stock is the preferred method as it gives the plant a very good start. The main problem with a normal cutting on citrus is that the root system it developes can be very unreliable. That is to say, more susceptible to disease and drainage problems. By all means, as Ron said have a go, you never know!

I also agree with you wombat, Its better to cut your orange tree because its a hybrid combination,Cut off it and grow new orange tree which give you better equality and true oranges. But must be kept in mind while you are cutting the old tree be carefully about its root system.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back