storing pre-mixed, diluted spray for instant use?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

EdwinNJ

Hi all.
My preferred insecticide of choice is malathion.
However, it's annoying to do all the mixing in my big sprayer, then empty it and wash it out thoroughly.
I recently bought this little prayer of Sevin. You just keep it around, and spray when you neeed it. It's a little sprayer, like a windex bottle.

Can't I do this with my malathion? I looked on the bottle it says "Do not store diluted spray". But really, will it actually degrade quickly once mixed? As long as I use an opaque sprayer bottle to keep out the light, it should last, no?

I prefer to use malathion because the sevin the guy told me dries as a solid and that's what kills the bugs - that carbaryl itself is a water-soluble solid that kills by bug contact. My problem with that is that that means that it washes off as soon as rain comes or even I just water my plants. And an organochloride also seems more effective since the slowly-vaporizing material also shoos the bugs away, whereas a contact poison, I feel like the bug will already be munching on the leaf by the time he dies or flies away because of the solid carbaryl. And also obvs the oily malathion should stay on longer even after rain or watering, sinc eit's oil based, even if it's dispersed in water in the bottle with surfactants or whatever they use when they bottle and sell the stuff.

It's only an issue because a few of my seedlings have been getting eaten and they're having trouble getting past very small seedling stage.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back