Strawberry Question

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gardendan

I have questions about Strawberries. Im going to transplant some of my berries after there done producing and was wondering is it safe to cut of the shoots when planting the main plant? Last year I planted a patch, but didn't plant them in rows like the Strawberry farms, so I now need to do it right. Also does anyone know how to keep Chimpmunks and Rabbits out of the Strawberries? Ive been using Animal Stopper Granular stuff, and seems to keep the rabbits out, but not the chips.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

A .22 rifle works well if you are in an area where you can use one. I don't get bothered by chipmunks, but the squirrels sure are a bother.

A .22 rifle works well if you are in an area where you can use one. I don't get bothered by chipmunks, but the squirrels sure are a bother.

I do use a .22. But it's not enough. I really need help with my Strawberries. If anyone can provide info to my questions ask, please respond.

Dan,
That is a tough one to reply to!
If you plant twice as many plants then you shouldn't have a problem with a good crop!
Wildlife will always take their share of the crop!
This is a given, and something you will just need to get used to, or give up and not plant strawberries!
Actually, I think birds would be the ones to do the most damage to the fruit!
Anything red attracts them like magnets!

Last edited:
Hi Gardendan,
I assume you mean the runners off the parent plant? I don't cut them off until they begin to form roots...then cut away and you have a new plantlet!
If you are talking about the leaf part of the plant,then no,don't cut them.

Hi Gardendan,
I assume you mean the runners off the parent plant? I don't cut them off until they begin to form roots...then cut away and you have a new plantlet!
If you are talking about the leaf part of the plant,then no,don't cut them.

No not the leaves, the shoots, runners is what im talking about. Im not that dumb lol. I got help yesterday with someone who grows Strawberries every year, so I now know what to do when the time comes to transplant and protect them from pests and rodents. Im good. Thanks for the input though, helps me out greatly

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back