Tall yellow/purple flowers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

trish10102003

Hello I'm hoping someone can give me suggestions on some flowers. I am looking for something that gets 4-6ft. tall. and not too wide. These will be in the back border of my beds. Looking for purple and yellow blooms from spring through fall. I am in zone 8 North West Louisiana. They will need full sun to light shade. Anual or perenial does not matter. Thanks so much for any help!

If you place trellises along the back of the border you could grow clematis!<--there are spring, summer and fall bloomers!
If the trellises are large enough you could use morning glories to fill in!

What about lilies or coneflowers?? black eyed susans??

What lilies bloom all year? I have asiatics that bloom late summer and daylilies , but don't get tall. I have purple cone flowers and blackeyed susan, but they don't put on enough of a show for me. Thanks for the response!

If you place trellises along the back of the border you could grow clematis!<--there are spring, summer and fall bloomers!
If the trellises are large enough you could use morning glories to fill in!

Thanks so much! I love the idea of trellises. I just bought some purple and white clematis for another area of the yard where I tore down morning glories. They just reseed eveywhereand I got tired of them! Bought some angel trumpets for my specific reason of this post. Hopefully I will learn how to grow them:confused: Thanks so much for your reply!

All season?

How about hollyhocks? They come in lots of different colors. There are also some delphinium candlestick types which are almost purple in color.
Both have long blooming seasons, esp if you trim back bloomed out stalks - new ones will sprout.
There are some great sunflowers you could try as well.
And if you plant seeds several weeks apart, you can have blooms all season.
Tall garden phlox also has a great bloom time, but generally only gets 4 ft or taller if extremely happy.
Purple turtlehead is pretty when blooming, but can easily take over if you don't keep them deadheaded.

Malva Zebrina are prolific seeders so you may need to think twice, unless you do not mind them taking over! They can reach 3ft+ if they like the area!
Have you thought about some of the clump forming tall grasses!

Malva Zebrina are prolific seeders so you may need to think twice, unless you do not mind them taking over! They can reach 3ft+ if they like the area!
Have you thought about some of the clump forming tall grasses!

I love flowers too much! Grasses seem boring sometimes. I had pink pampas, it was pretty just spread too much. My beds are only 15ft. wide and 8ft. deep in a half circle. I need to get a bang for the space!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back