Temp Help

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FloralDaddy

ok i just planted a bunch of germinated annual seedlings and put them outside my worry is the temp this spring so far where i live (maine) has been really cold highs being 50s and 60s lows being 30s is this too cold to keep them outside right now? i dont have a grow light right now so i dont kno what to do with them in my house so they still grow right

Welcome to the board. You are not the first gardener to get the cart before the horse a bit. If in your shoes I would make a place inside to bring the plants in when temps are low or threatening to freeze. Also many plants are hardy enough to stay out but you don't say what they are. If all else fails, start over with a florescent light and only plant what you have room for until the weather breaks. Good luck!

Hi FloralDaddy and welcome. I do have a heat mat but not big enough for all my starts. You can put them on top of your refridgerator for heat until they sprout and I have tried a grow bulb in an old lamp also. Good luck, gardening is a lot of trial and error.

Welcome Floraldaddy!
Mainegal is also in Maine and has lots of experience in your zone. If I put plants out too early, I will often make little tents over them with painters plastic, making sure not to allow it to touch the plants. The daytime sun make a green house effect and helps hold heat in over night. that way you get the best of both worlds. ;)

I would bring them inside at night. If you a sunny window you can put them there during the days that get to cold out side. Most plants need 50 degrees F to grow, cooler and they slow down until it warms.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back