The 1st winter batch under the lights

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

halfway

Here is my hydro system with it's first crop. The basil (upper left) germinated about 15 days ago and the lettuce (remaining 5 pots) about 13 days ago when the photo was taken. The pic was taken on November 5th.

I am very impressed so far and this is on a low rate of nutrients. I hope to start harvesting the lettuce around the first week of December with the culmination around the 15th. I will start germinating the next batch around December 8th to keep the supply steady.

In doing Hydro are you using organic feeding or chemical. Just wondering as I have really wanted to try it for starting and growing. I just have not had the time to really get into it. We have local ( about 60 miles from me) a huge store with everything you could want to get started. It is almost overwhelming.
You plants look good by the way;)

In doing Hydro are you using organic feeding or chemical. Just wondering as I have really wanted to try it for starting and growing. I just have not had the time to really get into it. We have local ( about 60 miles from me) a huge store with everything you could want to get started. It is almost overwhelming.
You plants look good by the way;)

It is a bit overwhelming. I would say bite it off in small pieces and it is really quite simple.

Since there is no soil, you have no need for fungicides, pesticides, or herbicides, which is awesome!

There are organic nutrients, but I have not yet gone that route. I am using a hydroponic solution which contains all the required nutrients and so far, it is producing excellent results.

Once I get full confidence on feeding, I will move towards organic nutrient solutions. The problems I see people having is clogging of tubes and pumps and of course expense.

The expended nutrient solution makes great fertilizer for houseplants!

Here is a link to a video I shot as part of my video journal. There are 2 videos and I will continue to make them to track my own progress.

It has been a great experience so far...and I like to keep the costs as low as possible!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8HkRmwyls

I used a system in the 70's called "luwassa"( spelling might be wrong). It was all self contained in single pots. It worked great but was expensive. Each pot had a reservoir in which you put the liquid. There were stones in the bottom as well. It worked the same way but seemed much easier. Please keep posting your progress so we can follow along.

crabbergirl, not sure of the system you mentioned. It sounds like a bubble bucket or drip system. It would actually be a pretty simple system, but retail systems can be expensive. I prefer to explore hydroponics as cheaply as possibe, LOL.

Here is a photo from November 11th. I am impressed with the growth rates. Very impressed.

Wow! That is great. I am really wishing I had the resources to go full tilt. I have a small veggie market that will trade me my organic for their veggies. I usually get things I can not or do not grow. I would have no problem getting them to by hydro stuff especiall if organic.
Keep us posted , I like seeing your progress.

Wow! That is great. I am really wishing I had the resources to go full tilt. I have a small veggie market that will trade me my organic for their veggies. I usually get things I can not or do not grow. I would have no problem getting them to by hydro stuff especiall if organic.
Keep us posted , I like seeing your progress.

I built this system with very little cash outlay. I used several ideas and came up with worked for me and what I thought I wanted to do.

It has been a fascinating journey in learning the hows and whys of hydroponics and ho each system operates. This has been fun.

I keep a blog journal, but I don't think I am allowed to post it on this site.

I am going to use about half my containers this year with hydro and do a full side by side comparison. It should prove interesting. :cool:

Have you ever been to Epcot ? They have a huge amazing hydro display. It is just awesome.
Your journal would be best posted on you personal blog. If you PM me your blogsite I would love to check it out. Looks and sounds like you have some great ideas. I just bought 3 light today for my tropicals I had to move inside. So there is my lighting :D

CG, I have never been to Epcot, but I understand the hydro display is awesome.

The above photo was taken on November 27th. This is after many harvests which have kept it and the basil trimmed back.

We are at day 27 days (in the photo, 36 days as of today) in the ebb and flow system and this has produced many salads and BLTs. Probably $10 to $15 in lettuce. We have used several batches of basil and have quite a bit in the freezer as well.

I am building 2 DWC systems to allow continuous harvests of lettuce. I'll post when I get it up and running both here and on the blog.

That is wonderful! That looks fantastic. I still have a good bit of lettuce and such in the garden. You know, I trade my excess produce at the local fruit stand, for things that are out of season here. You might be on to a great way to barter for other products if you keep getting bigger. I also supply a small fish market with herbs as well as a few other products. I have found local non chain stores are excited to trade.

Got the 2 Deep Water Culture systems built and now awaiting the germination!! I am going to dedicate the ebb and flow system entirely to herbs while the DWCs do all the heavy lifting for the lettuce. I will stagger the crops by 2 weeks to insure we have year round greens.

We are currently pulling 2 salads worth of lettuce from the current system every other day and no sign of bolting at almost 60 days!! Wifey calculated about $30 in lettuce so far, which almost pays for the entire system after just one run. I am impressed! Here is the blog / journal I mentioned: http://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/ I had curious family and friends encourage me to start it and it has become a pretty decent video journal to complement the written records.

Merry Christmas all!!

Lighting System for Hydroponic and starts

Here is the lighting system I have fashioned for my indoor "starts" and my hydroponic growing in the winter. Clicking on the picture will zoom in.

This is simply 3 cheap T8 48" shoplights fashioned together to form one unit which can be raised and lowered to accomodate plant height.

This setup allows standard trays to be placed sideways and can easily accomodate 4 18 cell or 4 72 cell starter trays. It is shown in the photo providing light for hydroponic lettuce and basil.

CG, I have never been to Epcot, but I understand the hydro display is awesome.

The above photo was taken on November 27th. This is after many harvests which have kept it and the basil trimmed back.

We are at day 27 days (in
the photo, 36 days as of today) in the ebb and flow system and this has produced many salads and BLTs. Probably $10 to $15 in lettuce. We have used several batches of basil and have quite a bit in the freezer as well.

I am building 2 DWC systems to allow continuous harvests of lettuce. I'll post when I get it up and running both here and on the blog.

I have been to Epcot and it is something to see. It is my favorite part of Epcot. You need to go see it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back