tomato plant dont look good

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

dragunzgirl

Ok well we did a small garden this year and it LOOKS good. Well we doing every thing right, but one of our tomato plants is not looking to good. It just looks like it is drying up all its leaves but one stim looks dried out. Also the stim that is looking good has 2 tomato's on it. Also some of the other tomato plants now are having there leaves closest to the ground turn yellow. Is something we doing making them do this???

also we have sprayed for bugs cause we saw some aphids on them. I'll see if i can get a photo of the tomato plant that's looks dried out.

OH ALSO there are these tiny white bugs on the plants, they look kind of like white fly's but a little different, They kind of look like Thrips in a way but not sure what so ever....

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like wilt to me but not having a picture.....
Chek out the thread " Wilt or Not?" Ron posted the proper way to dispose of affected plants.
Welcome and good luck

dragunzgirl

kk, well took some pics and also i sprayed the plants with some soap water today cause i found alot of aphids today. I was told its them what's making my plants all sick in a way. We were useing another spray but i dont think it was working.

also we did plant them kind of close and it was a ddd thing we did, we knew we did after we planted them and well..... now they grew and grew and grew lol so we just left them be to grow... Could that be why that one is sick is putting them to close to each other do that??? Its our first year doing the planting so we are a little new to it all...

ALSO with the aphids today i saw some orange worm things with them carwing around on the leaf. They were big as a large aphid. I never seen them before and have NO idea what that was...

here are the pics, sorry there not the best

ok at bottom of one of the tomato plants, you can see some yellow going on
DSC01973.jpg

the sick tomato plant
DSC01972.jpg

another photo of the sick one.
DSC01971.jpg

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How often do you water?
Looks like you have a watering system set up with a spray nozzle!
Wetting the leaves is not a good thing and can cause the problem you are having!
Yes, they are planted too close to one another, which prevents air to circulate around the plants! This can cause bacteria and viral problems especially if you keep watering from above rather then just the soil!
You would be better off with a drip systen to water the plants!

dragunzgirl

we have not used the sprinklers sense they were tiny plants. We stopped cause the plants over grew them. The plants are way above them, well the one tomato plant that is sick looking is still small cause it stopped growing. And its been raining so much here we have no need to water at moment. It rains here like every other day now. HOT and muggy today :( not weather i like at all...... Im glad it did not rain today, i think it going to rain tomorrow or Sat.

and i know they are to close we did that and we knew we were going to have a problem of them being so close. But its the aphids that are swarming our plants now i did a over check today and dug into the plants to look and found a ton of them. So i sprayed them down with soap water. Thinking of buying lady bugs.

Last edited:

KallieLashay

Don't worry

my tomato plants did something similar last year. I just dug up the dried out plant and threw it away and problem solved..also there could be several reasons for the leaves turning yellow..too much water, not enough water, calcium being low, etc..so I wouldnt worry. Pick off the yellow and dead leaves as well..cause it will cause other leaves to die as well..

dragunzgirl

well some of them have blossom end rot now i think its the calcium being low for one thing. and NOW we got stupid stink bugs all over... i found some adults and killed them and now i see lots of little baby stink bugs. Its killing are tomatoes off bad.. all of out tomatoes are dieing :( some have holes in them from a bug and some are growing all deformed from them stupid bugs...

HOW do i get rid of them bugs??

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try Neem oil it is organic but do not stop habd picking bugs. You have to stay a head of them. Also you can use homemade hot pepper spray as it works well to make things taste bad to bugs and pest. It will also kill them when directly applied. As always nevber apply any sprays in the heat of the day always at dusk or dawn;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com