Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have one Mama Roma with Blossum end rot. I threw away 3 tomatoes today with it. The plant is looking quite yellow also. I went to HD to get mortar mix, but they only have the large bags. I will look at Lowe's tomorrow. I need to add some and the epsom salt really quick.

Miss Dorothy, mash up a few Tums and water them into the soil aroun the tomatoes. The main ingredient in them is calcium carbonate.

Randy that will help with the blossom end rot. We have done our tomatoes with the Epsom salts and mortar mix for over 25 years. I usually dance with the one that brung me. hehehehe

Dor I hope you can stop the blossom end rot. Nothing like thinking you have a ripe tomato and when you pick it get disappointed.

I plan to use it with the beer, dish liquid, ammonia, and karo syrup and see what happens. I am going to wait about 3 weeks before I fertilize again.

Hey Dor, where can I find this home made recipe? This is my first garden in YEARS and I've dedicated myself to doing it all organic (or as much as humanly possible anyway). This stuff sounds scrumptious!

Hey Dor, where can I find this home made recipe? This is my first garden in YEARS and I've dedicated myself to doing it all organic (or as much as humanly possible anyway). This stuff sounds scrumptious!

John, I got it from Dale. Equal amount of mortar mix and epsom salt mixed together and applied in the soil around your tomato plants then water. The tums sound good to I can find them quicker than I can the mortar mix.

Good luck Dor. Keep us posted. I am dtill fighting to get leaves back and maybe some blooms. We are still having daily heavy rains . I just can't win:(

I feel for you CG as we are having way too much rain too. I don't even want to think about going in with liquid fertilizer at this point. Oh well, next year we will have a drought no doubt.

Dorothy, when I planted my tomatoes, I used about 2/3rds of a cup of hydrated lime that I got from the farm/garden store. I scratched that into the soil when I planted the tomatoes. I think I bought a 20 pound bag, so that's quite a bit of stuff for just a few plants. Last year I forgot to scratch in the lime into the soil and I had quite a bit of the blossom end rot.

Dorothy, when I planted my tomatoes, I used about 2/3rds of a cup of hydrated lime that I got from the farm/garden store. I scratched that into the soil when I planted the tomatoes. I think I bought a 20 pound bag, so that's quite a bit of stuff for just a few plants. Last year I forgot to scratch in the lime into the soil and I had quite a bit of the blossom end rot.

Randy, Home Depot has the lime but it is in a huge bag. I need a smaller amount. I guess I can run by the feed store and see if they have smaller size.

I hope so too Kim, so far it is only one tomato plant. I hope to keep it contained there. We really do need some rain. We are in a drought.

I am depressed. With all the rain we had on Monday night some of the tomato plants are beginning to flop. It will only get worse. I planted them in 2 different spots so hopefully I can salvage one of the tomato gardens.

13 of my tomato plants are looking really healthy. There is only one that is looking pretty puny and it isn't junior.

Good for you Randy. We are suppose to be getting near 100 degrees on Friday and Saturday. Don't know what all that water in the garden and all that heat is going to do.

I love to hear great garden stories.You go Randy!

Dale you and I are in the same boat or uh should I say we need a boat. I feel your pain.

Good for you Randy. We are suppose to be getting near 100 degrees on Friday and Saturday. Don't know what all that water in the garden and all that heat is going to do.

Can you say...steam.

With all the rain and now heat, I expect the garden fungi to take off. I've already pulled all my Mexico tomato plants because they were diseased, but the others have been holding their own. I have lots of lovely green tomatoes, I'll be so bummed if a disease takes the plants early.

Picked my first Cherokee Purple tomato this week, and everything I've heard about them is true. They are delicious!

The one tomato plant that doesn't look good is a Sungold. I have another one in the garden though and it is doing great. I have a third one on the back porch in a half-barrel and it is also doing well. We were off to a slow start weather-wise, but for the past few weeks, the weather has been pretty good for the garden. The weeds are doing great too. LOL

Well I went today to a grower I buy plants and produce from. She had some over grown leggy tomato plants and some bell pepper plants I bought. When it dries off will plant some more. We have to keep on keeping on.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back