Ultimate Potatoe Soil?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruno2

I have been wondering what elements would create the best type of soil for growing potatoes?

What type of fertilizer do the potatoes enjoy and what could be added to create a good rooting environment that wouldnt restrict the growth?

Also lets discuss the same about onions so I dont have to waste space on the board making a seperate post.

Here in Florida we grow lots of potatoes. Our commercial production is very high also.

Sandy well drained soil is with a good basic fertilizer. Something equal to 10-10-10 They do require a lot of water but do not want to be wet all the time. Full sun is a must.
What zone are you in?

The potatoes grow in soils in which lots of compost and loose material added into the soil.A good fertilizer for potatoes contain low levels of Nitrogen, and high levels of phosphorus.

I think I live in zone 3. I am in Northeastern Oklahoma. I was thinking maybe tilling in some dead leaves into the soil next go around to give it a little more fluff. I have added some sand to the garden here and there. It seems to drain pretty well. The portion of the garden I put the potatoes in is relatively new. It has had grass growing there for yrs. I am trying to get the whole thing balanced out. The PH was very high when I tested it. I put quite a bit of sulphur in it so it should be getting better. Everything is doing very well.

What is a better way to get the nutrients into the ground and will last longer than chemical fertilizers?

It's pretty hard to beat compost. That could be available from your county at a moderate cost or maybe even free. I have spread oak leaves over my garden and tilled them in and that works too. But oak leaves are not the best, but that's what I had. They will use up nitrogen before they are composted in the ground, but the longterm benefits are pretty good. I was chastised a long time ago by an old North Dakota farmer who was my neighbor for adding sand to my soil, but it was the best thing I could do for the heavy soil. I had great soil after that. We have a problem here with high pH because of all the rain we get, so I usually add lime before I till to bring it closer to neutral.

So glad you asked that Bruno.
Randy is right. Compost is the best organic way. I do not use commercial checmical fertilizers or additives but just here in the last year I have been buying organic fertilizers simply because I no longer have enough time to be self sustaining in my fertilizer needs. I gather leaves, cut grass and mulches that are from trusted sources. You can either till them in or you can compost them. My simple compost bin consist of 7 pallets like you get sod on. This will make you 2 boxes if you place them side by side. My tops are open so they get sun and water.I layer materials ( listed above) in along with, kitchen scraps, and sand or dirt if needed. Keeping a compost pile watered is essential to keeping ants out. Not sure in your area how long it will take but I can turn a pile in as little as 3-4 weeks if I really work it.
You might want to check some local landscape businesses and see if they have mushroom compost. This is simply cow manure that has been used to grow mushrooms. It is usually still too hot to put directly on plants when I get it, but as a side dressing or as a soil additive that you either turn in or let rest it works great. I will usually get a load at the end of the season and just spread it out where I am not planting and let it sit . Then in a few weeks when I am ready to plant it is just right.

I keep hearing about bone meal and blood meal as organic fertilizers. Blood meal sounds like it would high nitrogen. That wouldnt be the best for potatoes. The bone meal my be better. I think I will add a little more sand.

I havent done this in a while , but , I can get free manure at the fairgrounds. I dont usually get manure that came from general livestock. I have always been told that will put weeds in your garden. I usually get it from the thorobreds at the race track there. I am scared to put that stuff in while the garden is active. That stuff hasnt been sitting long enough to cool off.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back