Veggie planter with Behr stain...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Brooke Vance

Hi all,

My husband and I just bought a house without any landscaping done (it's new); and we are brand new to gardening. We built planter boxes with supplies we purchased from Home Depot. Our HOA only allows one stain for wood objects in our yards. We stained our planters with that stain from Behr. It didn't even cross our mind about the toxins in the wood-stain that would seep into the soil. Like I said, we are brand new to all kinds of gardening and have A LOT to learn I am finding out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a safe way to line the planters so we can still use them to grow vegetables?

Thank you!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Brooke!
Welcome to our forum!
Gardening is a learning curve and we all make mistakes along the way.
Yes, you can line your planters with plastic to prevent leaching of the chemicals from the stain you used.....but, even plastic has some chemicals.
You could use galvanized metal instead of plastic. It comes in sheets or rolled...you might need to be creative with it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com