What's eating my trees?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gerrym

Hi, I was hoping someone might know what's eating away my with my Japanese Blueberry Trees & Bottle Trees. I went to my local nursery and they said that on the Blueberries it’s something that was laying eggs on the leaves and as they’re hatching are preventing the leaves from fully forming. On the Bottle Trees they said it’s obviously also some sort of insect and they recommended Bayer Tree & Shrub Insect Control, http://www.starnursery.com/show_details.php?root=268&product=188) which I applied two weeks ago. It says it’s good for 12 months so I’m hesitant to reapply it.

These pictures were taken this morning. It’s still occurring on even new growth. Any idea what this could be? The bottle tree looks like something is taking a clean bite out of the leaves! Just FYI, this is occurring on 5 out of 5 Bottle Trees and 3 out of 12 Japanese Blueberries.

Thank you!
-Gerry

Attachments

• DSC_0001-2.jpg
    DSC_0001-2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_0002-2.jpg
    DSC_0002-2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0003-2.jpg
    DSC_0003-2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC_0004-2.jpg
    DSC_0004-2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_0005-2.jpg
    DSC_0005-2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 333
They all look like old damage from a few weeks to a month old.
The c ut out sections are caused by leaf cutting bees. They use the leaves to line their short tunnels (usually in rotten wood or in the ground.
They do not hurt the trees and they only cut for a few short weeks to perpetuate their species!
My motto is: if the damage doesn't do any lasting harm such as killing the tree, it is best to leave it alone and not use any pesticides.....there is enough in the environment and the veggies and fruits we eat, that more is not a good thing!

I agree with Ron, I think the "damage" is done and isn't serious.

I am also familiar with the Bayer product you mentioned. The active ingredient is Imidicloprid and is a systemic taken up by the roots. I will give you a full season of control of prrimarily sucking type insects. Do not reapply it. It is an expensive product and effedctive for the right insects but reappying won't help any.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back