Why is there no growth on the lower part of my clematis?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Baytree1970

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I planted clematis lemon dream last year (macropetala, group 1 I believe) and it did fine. This year it's only produced new growth from where the old growth left off - in other words, the lower parts of the stems are completely bare.

I really don't know what to do in order to get growth across the whole plant - any suggestions?

Thanks
: )

IMG_20210527_104401.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Common problem with this group of clematis.
After the blooming ends you can prune the vine down, but be careful not to remove more then 1/3 of the total growth.
A suggestion would be to look for another type of clematis that grows shorter to fill in the lower bare area.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com