Why is there no growth on the lower part of my clematis?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Baytree1970

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I planted clematis lemon dream last year (macropetala, group 1 I believe) and it did fine. This year it's only produced new growth from where the old growth left off - in other words, the lower parts of the stems are completely bare.

I really don't know what to do in order to get growth across the whole plant - any suggestions?

Thanks
: )

IMG_20210527_104401.jpg

Common problem with this group of clematis.
After the blooming ends you can prune the vine down, but be careful not to remove more then 1/3 of the total growth.
A suggestion would be to look for another type of clematis that grows shorter to fill in the lower bare area.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back