A Peony Question??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Oh man, this info has been perfectly times for me. My neighbor's Mom gave me a peony years ago. The Mom passed on so the first bloom always goes to my neighbor. Just today she asked me if we could take a clipping so she could have a piece of this bush. I told her I would ask 'my buddies' and here it all is :) AND we had some trees cut down so they are blooming profusely but have some sort of 'funk' on the leaves. We lost our shade. You all are phenominal ! Thank you ~

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I truley appreciate all of your help.
I only got 2 roots not sure I even got different colors?
I potted them up yesterday, I guess we will now see??:D

Zone 9 might be a stretch for peonies. They are from a cold climate and don't usually flower without a cold winter. You should plant them on the north side, mulch heavily during summer, and provide no mulch during winter. Here in Texas (Zone 8) but a very hot Zone 8, people will frequently put ice on the roots during the winter to encourage blooming.

There is more info at www.landscapedesktop.com/perennial shrub (paeonia lactiflora).htm

LOOKY I am so Excited!!!!
My Peonies from my grandpas house were planted in a pot when I got home from KS.
They are comming up!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN5335.jpg
    DSCN5335.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 305
THANK YOU Kya!
These are so special to me...they were my grandpas both he and my grandma passed away last year, When I was in Kansas I went and got these and a few other things right before the house sold!
I am going to do whatever it takes to bring these up in MS!!!:D

Good for you Treva! When my grandparents passed, I made it through the funerals fine but when I went and saw their beautiful garden neglected and bare it about did me in.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Mmm.......I received the last of my sister's ashes last week and one Saturday, opened the box, went outside, and began ~ "Now you get to go under the lilac bush like the one we used to have outside our house. Next are the azaleas like were in the front of the house. You can go by the rose bush you gave me from SC. Where else?" I got to giggling so much ~ 'That's right. After you died the neighbor gave me this clematis." "HEY ! I have Grandma's lily of the valley~ HERE you go! What about the lighthouse?" People were walking up and down the path beside our house calling over to me: Carol, get the dog and come out. Nope, I'm busy~ VERY busy. When I told my 92 y/o Dad he said," Now your sister is truly at peace." When my sister had 3 weeks to live, she said,"I want to plant seeds." She did and I always plant the nasturiums so..in we went. It was such a fine way to lay her to rest. Well, she hasn't complained yet and I presonally feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment. 4 years ago when somebody at her funeral said,"Say something....." I was dumbfounded and said," I don't wanna", I was yelled at later by my stepmother. I had a heck of a good time taking care of her in our own backyard. :) ~ Curbie

THANK YOU Dora, although I have done ok, I do miss them so much! They helped to raise me and then were always there too, while my children were growinng up.
I used to tell my aunt about my grandpas gardens (they were BEAUTIFUL) "if I had 8 to 10 hours a day to work in my yard they would look that good too!"
WELL.... I do spend that kind of time now and my place is no where near as pretty as his was!!!!!!!!!!
And yes it made me so sad to see everything at there place grown over by weeds and the flowers gone! I thought I would have a problem seeing someone else live there, but the empty uncared condition was harder than I thought!
I brought home some of his stuff and hope to continue his beauties here!
Good for you Treva! When my grandparents passed, I made it through the funerals fine but when I went and saw their beautiful garden neglected and bare it about did me in.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Curbie - you and Ginny were true soul sisters - it touches me to think you knew and cared so much for her and I was privy knowing how much time you spent looking after her when she got sick. You did the right and thoughful thing with her ashes....and now your garden will mean even more to you.
My stepmother has never done anything with my father's ashes and that bothers me - but not my place to make waves :(

Oh, Treva ~ Those plants will thrive b/c they come from the heart. I think I would even take a weed! Thanks, Jules ~ When I got the approval of my Dad, I thought: Hm....done good. I always take a plant and a pot or pan. I have recipe books too that I can't even find the ingredients any more! I have the tiny white pan my Mom used to hardboil eggs in. It must be 70 years old but still boiling those eggs! ~ :)

Aren't treasures wonderful. I have quilt tops that my grandma Embroidered for me, I love them all.
My (who I was much closer to) left me with the things I use everyday. Like my love for flowers and gardening, my ability to doctor my animals, my love for canning, my knowledge of animals. Things like that.
I miss them both

Yes - as we get older we realize how much like our predacessors we have become....guess we have the time to analyze more than when we are younger and just rushing through life!!! I treasure the material items I have from my grandparents, great grandparents and my parents. I was so fortunate to get back in my mother's home this winter (she passed years ago and I don't get along with my stepfather) and was able to bring home a few items for memory sake. I am such a sentimentalist.....and feel comforted to surround myself with memories.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back