Amaryllis

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL Mainegal, snakes make me shiver too. I have a deep fear of them but I'm not beyond putting them out of their misery!!! I keep a hoe by my back steps for just this reason.
Bottom line is.. SC has it's good side but there's also a little bad, snakes being one of the bad.
Usually snakes try and stay out of a human's way but there is a time..we call it dog days..when snakes have a film over their eyes and can't see well. At this time they will strike at anything. I want to think it is around Sept. when this happens. We don't get much cold weather till late Oct..sometimes later. In the cold months the snakes hibernate.
RJ killed a rattler in the garden 2 weeks ago. It had seven rattles and 2 buttons. This was unusual as they normaly have only one button. The rattles tell the age of the snake..it was 7 years old and was right healthy!! A rattler will shake their rattles and you'll probably hear him before you see him, that's a good thing....you have a chance to RUN!
The worse scare I've gotten yet was in the barn a few years back. I have a cabinet on the wall and was looking for something. I opened the cabinet door and starring me in the face was one big..I mean BIG snake! That snake's eyes looked about as big as mine at that moment. Needless to say..I closed that door faster than I opened it!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bulbs should be fine. I have some laying in the yard I was transplanting and got side tracked :rolleyes: I will plant them this weekend. My others are at the end of their blooms so in about 6 weeks I'll have more:D

We have all the same snakes Gloria. I have 5 large dogs so that keeps interest at a min. for the snakes;) Last moccasin I saw was a copperhead, but we have huge cotton mouths too. Weekend before last we were walking the river bank and I stopped, Tim said "move" I said "I can't". There was a very large copperhead looking at me. He had been coming toward me and we were only a few feet apart. We just backed out and he went another direction.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com