Anyone ever built a PVC

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Has any of you built a PVC greenhouse??
I am trying to get ideas so I can build one.
I have searched the net for ideas but I just wondered if any one of you has done one for yourself.

I used pvc pipes for building a trellis!
It was not a good idea since the pipes are rather flimsy, and more so when you go higher!
I broke it up and threw it out after a year, and made one out of 1/2" copper pipes.
Copper is pricey but make for a more durible, strong and ridgid frame!
So if you are thinking of building a greenhouse you might be better off if you use copper or galvanized pipes for a strong ridgid framework!

Last edited:
How large of a structure are you thinking of?
The larger the framework the larger the pipe!
Nice thing about copper is that you can use all the joint pieces and solder them together into the shape you want!

That's true about soldering the copper. I am afraid that copper may be out of my price range. Do you think the copper will conduct the cold too much?
I am hoping to build it about 8'X10'

Oooo! 8'x10' out of pcv pipes would not work! Any weight on the pipes with that span will bring the whole thing down! Unless you want to make a kind of hoop shaped framework...that might be feasible! There are kits for that too, but I'm not sure if the frame is out of pcv pipes! Probably out of some other bendable material!
What you could do is go and price all the parts you will need....and add the heavy gauge plastic for roof and walls.... then look at greenhouse kits! Costco usually carry the kits ( at least they did carry 3 sizes years ago). Most of the frames are made out of aluminum and the roof and walls are fitted with either plexiglass, or tempered glass!
You will also need to purchase a base to secure the framework to the ground, and that usually means a concrete base will need to be poured!

Please do NOT use PVC. PVC is one of the most toxic products that we use. The production of PVC produces an amazing number of toxic gases, including dioxin. The people that live near, or work in PVC plants have extremely high rates of cancer. It is so toxic that it is illegal to transport liquid vinyl in Washington DC. Go with either copper or HDPE, also known as "High Density Polyethylene". HDPE is another type of plastic that is growing in popularity because people are becoming more and more aware of the downside of PVC.

Thanks MJ I will look into High Density Polyethylene
Errol I saw this one too. I like the idea it looks easy and fairly sturdy.
I have a friend that has one like it and she says it works great.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back